Greyguard is a castle along the Wall abandoned by the Night's Watch. It has largely collapsed. It has been abandoned for two hundred years. It lies west of Stonedoor and east of Sentinel Stand.
A Clash of Kings
Lord Commander Jeor Mormont plans to re-garrison the castle with men from the Shadow Tower, but on the advice of Qhorin Halfhand, they choose Stonedoor over it, due to Greyguard's dire straits.
A Storm of Swords
The party of wildlings that Jon Snow attaches himself to descends from the Wall at Greyguard.
Prior to their assaults on Castle Black and the Wall, wildlings hack at the gates of Greyguard.
A Dance with Dragons
Lord Commander Jon Snow decides to re-garrison Greyguard with thirty men - ten from Castle Black, ten from the Shadow Tower and ten from King Stannis Baratheon - under the command of Janos Slynt. Slynt refuses to follow Jon's orders, the second time publicly, which leads Jon to execute him.
Jon later considers Ser Alliser Thorne as Janos Slynt's replacement, but he instead orders Greyguard to be re-garrisoned with a grizzled steward from the Shadow Tower in command.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 26, Jon III.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 30, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.