Greyguard has been abandoned for two hundred years.
A Clash of Kings
Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, plans to re-garrison the castle with men from the Shadow Tower, but on the advice of Qhorin Halfhand, they instead choose Stonedoor due to Greyguard's dire straits.
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
Jon Snow, now Lord Commander, decides to re-garrison Greyguard with thirty men—ten from Castle Black, ten from the Shadow Tower and ten from King Stannis Baratheon—under the command of Janos Slynt. However, Janos refuses to follow Jon's orders, the second time publicly, which leads Jon to execute him.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 43, Jon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Map of Beyond the Wall
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 26, Jon III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 30, Jon IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon III.