Jenny of Oldstones
Jenny of Oldstones, by Rae Lavergne ©
|Spouse(s)||Prince Duncan Targaryen|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Jenny of Oldstones was the wife of Duncan Targaryen, the Prince of Dragonflies. There are many songs written about her, including Jenny's song, which the ghost of High Heart always wants to hear.
Appearance and Character
Duncan Targaryen, the Prince of Dragonstone, met Jenny while traveling the riverlands in 239 AC. The prince loved Jenny so much he married her against the wishes of his father, King Aegon V Targaryen, breaking his betrothal to the daughter of Lyonel Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End. King Aegon tried to have the marriage undone, but Duncan refused to give Jenny up, ultimately relinquishing his rights to the Iron Throne for her. The outraged Lyonel led a short-lived rebellion. With his younger brother Jaehaerys becoming Prince of Dragonstone and the new heir, Duncan came to be called Prince of Dragonflies.
Jenny was friends with a dwarf woman, a woods witch, whom she believed to be one of the children of the forest. The woman, whom Jenny brought to court, prophesied that the prince that was promised would be born from the line of Prince Aerys and Princess Rhaella Targaryen. When Prince Jaehaerys heard the prophecy he arranged a marriage between his two children.
When Catelyn Tully was twelve, she camped at Oldstones while traveling to Seagard with her father, Lord Hoster Tully. Catelyn and Petyr Baelish, her father's ward, pretended to be Jenny and Duncan, with Catelyn winding flowers in her hair.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
—thoughts of Barristan Selmy
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 43, Arya VIII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Baratheon.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Jaehaerys II Targaryen.
- A Storm of Swords, Epilogue.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 10, Sansa I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 67, The Kingbreaker.