A woods witch is a Westerosi medicine woman, both within the Seven Kingdoms and beyond the Wall. They are likely to be local or travelling herb-women who use traditional healing, and perhaps simple spells and charms to heal the sick or help the needy. They have also been known to have prophetic dreams.
At the command of their father, King Jaehaerys II Targaryen, Rhaella and her brother Aerys were married. Jaehaerys was influenced by a certain woods witch brought to court by Jenny of Oldstones, who prophesied that the prince that was promised would be born from their line.
A Storm of Storms
A Dance with Dragons
After the defeat of Mance Rayder at the battle beneath the Wall, Mother Mole claims to have had a vision of a fleet of ships coming to carry the free folk away to safety across the narrow sea. Thousands of those who fled the battle are desperate enough to believe her. Mother Mole leads them all to Hardhome to pray and await salvation from across the sea.
In Meereen Ser Barristan Selmy reveals to Daenerys Targaryen that her grandsire, King Jaehaerys, commanded that her father and mother be wed after he heard a prophecy from a woods witch. Daenerys is astonished.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 36, Cersei VIII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, House Durrandon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Wildlings.
- A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 11, The Kraken's Daughter.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 39, Jon VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.