|House Tarly of Horn Hill|
|Coat of arms||Vert, a huntsman striding to dexter proper garbed gules|
|Words||First in Battle|
|Title||Lord of Horn Hill|
|Founder||Herndon of the Horn and Harlon the Hunter|
|Founded||Age of Heroes|
House Tarly of Horn Hill is a noble house of the Reach, one of the strongest sworn to House Tyrell. Horn Hill is located in the foothills of the Red Mountains. Their sigil is the striding huntsman on green. Their motto is not revealed in the books, but according to semi-canon sources it is "First in Battle".
During Robert's Rebellion, Lord Randyll commanded the vanguard of the Reach at the Battle of Ashford, where he killed Lord Cafferen and forced Robert Baratheon to retreat. Randyll's liege, Lord Mace Tyrell, took credit for the victory, however.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Lord Randyll is among the lords that join their forces to Renly Baratheon's beneath Bitterbridge. Renly was at Horn Hill with Lord Tarly when he received Stannis Baratheon's letter concerning the illegitimacy of Queen Cersei Lannister's children.
Randyll is among the lords who do not go over to Stannis after Renly's death at Storm's End. He captures Renly's stores at Bitterbridge and puts many men to death, mainly Florent men-at-arms, lest they go over to Stannis along with their lords.
A Storm of Swords
Samwell is part of the great ranging in search of Mance Rayder and Benjen Stark beyond the Wall. After the fight at the Fist, Sam slays an Other. He escapes the mutiny at Craster's Keep with Gilly, and they are among the few survivors to reach the Wall. After the battle beneath the Wall, Sam arranges for the election of Jon Snow as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
A Feast for Crows
Brienne of Tarth spots the badge of House Tarly among those that had been collected from the dead around Duskendale. As he is meting out justice in Maidenpool, Randyll meets Brienne. He dismisses her mission and tells her never to set foot within his sight again. Dickon Tarly is betrothed to Eleanor Mooton, the daughter of Lord William Mooton of Maidenpool.
A Dance with Dragons
Dickon has married Eleanor Mooton.
Randyll returns to King's Landing upon receiving news of the arrest of Margaery Tyrell. He receives custody of her and her cousins after swearing a holy oath to return them for trial. As part of Lord Regent Kevan Lannister's efforts to assuage the men of the Reach, Lord Tarly is named justiciar on the small council of King Tommen I Baratheon.
House Tarly at the end of the third century
The known Tarlys during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Randyll Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill. Now master of laws and justiciar in Tommen I Baratheon's small council.
- Ser Hyle Hunt, a household knight. Hanged by the brotherhood without banners under Lady Stoneheart's order.
- Herndon of the Horn and Harlon the Hunter, legendary twins sons of Garth Greenhand and founders of House Tarly.
- Lord Samwell Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill in the reign of King Aenys I Targaryen. Known as "Savage Sam" for his prowess in battle during the Vulture Hunt.
- Unnamed Lord Tarly, present at the Golden Wedding.
- When Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen toured the south in 112 AC, the son of Lord Tarly courted her.
- Lord Donald Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill, husband of Lady Jeyne Rowan.
- Lord Alan Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill during the Dance of the Dragons. Supported Rhaenyra and the blacks. Possibly the same Tarly who courted Rhaenyra in 112.
- Unnamed Tarly, one of the 33 maiden proposed by Samantha Tarly as a suitable wife for King Aegon III Targaryen, alongside Sansara Tarly.
- Ser Samwyle Tarly, heir to Horn Hill at the time of the tourney at Ashford Meadow of 209 AC.
- Unnamed Tarly, father of Lord Randyll Tarly. He was unhorsed by Ser Denys Mallister in a tourney.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 9, Brienne II.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- The Citadel. Mottoes
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryens Kings: Aenys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- The Rogue Prince.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The Hedge Knight.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 18, Samwell I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 45, Samwell V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 25, Brienne V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 54, Cersei I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.