Bitterbridge is situated where the river Mander meets the Roseroad. It takes its name from an ancient stone bridge that crosses the Mander. The castle is small, made of stone and timber. The keep is not that tall, but the land is low and flat and makes it seem taller.
A battle at Stonebridge was one of many battles during the Faith Militant uprising against King Maegor I Targaryen. The savagery of that particular battle made the Mander run red with blood for twenty leagues. The bridge and castle that commanded it was forever known as Bitterbridge thereafter.
According to legend, Septon Mattheus's opulent wheelhouse passed Septon Barth, who was riding a donkey, at Bitterbridge in 50 AC. King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and Queen Alysanne Targaryen landed at Bitterbridge with their dragons, Vermithor and Silverwing, during their journey to Oldtown in 54 AC.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Ser Rickard Thorne and Prince Maelor Targaryen were killed by a mob in Bitterbridge while trying to make their way to the siege of Longtable. Prince Daeron Targaryen responded by burning the town with Tessarion in the sack of Bitterbridge. Ulf the White was named Lord of Bitterbridge by Daeron for his service in the First Battle of Tumbleton, but he was poisoned by Ser Hobert Hightower after the Second Battle of Tumbleton.
A Clash of Kings
King Renly Baratheon's army is camped beneath the walls of Bitterbridge when Lady Catelyn Stark comes to meet with him. A great melee is hosted beneath the castle. Renly takes his horse to Storm's End to deal with King Stannis Baratheon, leaving his foot behind at Bitterbridge with his bride, Margaery Tyrell.
Following Renly's death, Lord Petyr Baelish hurries from King's Landing to Bitterbridge to meet with Ser Loras Tyrell, continuing on to Highgarden to negotiate with Lord Mace Tyrell. Lord Randyll Tarly returns to Bitterbridge, seizes Renly's stores, and puts many of the foot to death, especially those of House Florent. Lord Lorent Caswell shuts himself within the walls of his castle. Riders from Bitterbridge inform Lord Tywin Lannister of the alliance between House Tyrell and House Baratheon of King's Landing.
Chapters that take place in Bitterbridge
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayl Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 31, Catelyn III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 36, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 68, Sansa VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 14, Catelyn II.