|House Caswell of Bitterbridge|
|Coat of arms||Argent, a centaur with bow or|
|Current Lord||Lorent Caswell|
|Title|| Lord of Bitterbridge|
Defender of the Fords
House Caswell of Bitterbridge is a noble house from the Reach. Their seat is Bitterbridge, where the Roseroad meets the river Mander. Their blazon is a yellow centaur with bow on white. The Caswells carry the title Defender of the Fords.
During the Dance of the Dragons, Tom Flowers, the Bastard of Bitterbridge, was one of the commanders of the blacks during the Battle on the Honeywine. He was burned alive by the dragon Tessarion when Daeron the Daring joined the battle.
House Caswell fought for the Targaryens during the Blackfyre Rebellion. Ser Kyle claimed to have saved the life of Lord Armond Caswell, Lord of Bitterbridge during the rebellion. Armond's son, Lord Joffrey Caswell, faced Kyle in the Whitewalls tourney, unhorsing the knight in the first tilt.
Old Lord Caswell's son, Ser Lorent, took a gift longsword made by Bitterbridge's armorer for his own son, Rolly. Lorent was wounded by Rolly in anger, after which Rolly fled in exile for the Golden Company.
A Clash of Kings
Lord Lorent Caswell is a wispy, young man. He follows his liege, Lord Mace Tyrell, in declaring for King Renly Baratheon on the outset of the War of the Five Kings. Renly's host encamps beneath the walls of Bitterbridge, which is where Lady Catelyn Tully meets him, finding his army engaging in tourney and feast. After Renly's death at Storm's End and the fall of the castle to Stannis, Lord Caswell shuts himself up within Bitterbridge.
A Feast for Crows
While searching for Sansa Stark, Brienne of Tarth encounters two guards at the gates of Maidenpool wearing the livery of House Caswell. This indicates House Caswell followed their liegelords of House Tyrell in declaring for King Joffrey.
House Caswell at the end of the third century
The known Caswells during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Lorent Caswell, Lord of Bitterbridge and Defender of the Fords.
- Two unnamed daughters.
- Four unnamed sisters.
- Lord Commander Orbert Caswell, known as the Black Centaur, who led the Night's Watch for nine years.
- Tom Flowers, bastard of Bitterbridge, who fought in the Dance of the Dragons.
- Lord Armond Caswell, Lord of Bitterbridge during the Blackfyre Rebellion.
- Ser Cleyton Caswell, a knight.
- Lord Caswell, the father of Lord Lorent Caswell.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Sworn Sword.
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 The Mystery Knight.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.