A moratorium is in effect on adding information from Fire and Blood until December 20th.
|House Rowan of Goldengrove|
|Coat of arms||Argent, a tree eradicated Or|
|Current Lord||Mathis Rowan|
Lord of Goldengrove|
Marshall of the Northmarch
House Rowan of Goldengrove is one of the most prominent and old families from the Reach, its dominions extending all along its northern borders. This may mean that the Rowans were made Marshall of the Northmarch to replace the declining House Osgrey, now their bannermen. Their blazon is a golden tree on silver. Their words are not mentioned in the books.
Lord Thaddeus Rowan declared Goldengrove for the blacks during the Targaryen civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, fighting in the battle on the Honeywine. He later became a regent and Hand of the King during the regency of Aegon III.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
House Rowan joins with the Tyrells and the Lannisters at the Battle of the Blackwater. Lord Mathis is among the lords presented to King Joffrey I at the award ceremony after the battle. Lord Tywin Lannister grants him an advisory seat on the small council.
A Storm of Swords
At a meeting of the small council, tracts are awarded to House Rowan. At the feast after the wedding of Tyrion Lannister to Sansa Stark, Lord Rowan dances with her. Mathis gives Joffrey a red silk pavilion as a wedding gift. A man sworn to House Rowan stabs a Dornishman during the royal wedding of Joffrey and Margaery Tyrell. An archer in Rowan livery tells Ser Jaime Lannister that Sansa Stark killed Joffrey.
A Feast for Crows
Ser Kevan Lannister names Lord Mathis as a good candidate to fill the vacant position as Hand of the King during his meeting with Queen Cersei; the queen instead revokes Mathis's council seat altogether. Mathis attends the wedding of King Tommen I and Margaery Tyrell. Mathis marches with Lord Mace Tyrell to lay siege to Storm's End.
A Dance with Dragons
House Rowan at the end of the third century
The known Rowans during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Mathis Rowan, Lord of Goldengrove and Marshall of the Northmarch.
- Lady Bethany Redwyne, his wife.
- His three unnamed children, one of whom is a girl.
- Lady Bethany Redwyne, his wife.
With unspecified familiar relationship with the lord of the house there is also:
- Lord Thaddeus Rowan, Lord of Goldengrove during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Ser Nyles Rowan, who participated in the tourney at Ashford Meadow in 209 AC.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Reach
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 6, Sansa I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- The Hedge Knight, Graphic Novel.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 44, Tyrion X.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 62, Sansa VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 28, Sansa III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 59, Sansa IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 62, Jaime VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 12, Cersei III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Mathis Rowan.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 61, The Griffin Reborn.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 54, Cersei I.