Baelon Targaryen (son of Jaehaerys I)
Baelon the Brave|
The Spring Prince
Prince of Dragonstone|
Hand of the King
|Born||In or between 53 AC and 64 AC|
|Died||In 101 AC|
|Spouse||Princess Alyssa Targaryen|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
The Rogue Prince (mentioned)
The Princess and the Queen (mentioned)
Prince Baelon Targaryen, also known as the Spring Prince, for the season of his birth, and the Brave, was a member of House Targaryen and was the third born son of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and Queen Alysanne Targaryen. He had three sons himself, Princes Viserys, Daemon and Aegon.
In 92 AC, after the death of his older brother, Prince Aemon, Baelon was named the heir-apparent by his father, King Jaehaerys I. He was thus named the Prince of Dragonstone, passing over Aemon's daughter and only heir, Rhaenys.
In 100 AC, Baelon was named Hand of the King, succeeding the position after Ser Ryam Redwyne had been fired. Baelon served admirably, but tragedy struck a year later, in 101 AC, when, during a hunting trip, Baelon complained of a stitch in his side. He died within days, of a burst belly.
After his death, an assembly of lords held the first Great Council, to answer the question of who would succeed King Jaehaerys upon his death. Baelon's eldest son, Viserys, was chosen and succeeded Jaehaerys I two years later as King Viserys I.
- See the Baelon Targaryen (son of Jaehaerys I) calculation.
- The Rogue Prince.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.
- Prince Daemon Targaryen was married to Lady Rhea Royce from 97 AC until 115 AC. He then married Lady Laena Velaryon in 115 AC; their marriage lasted until Laena's death in 120 AC. That same year, Daemon married his niece, Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.