Lord of the Eyrie|
Defender of the Vale
Warden of the East
Master of laws
|Born||In 44 AC|
|Died||In 82–97 AC|
2nd: Princess Daella Targaryen
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
Fire & Blood (mentioned)
Appearance and Character
A leal friend of both King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and his wife, Queen Alysanne, Rodrik was sensible, knowledgeable, good-humored and a great asset to Jaehaerys's small council. Despite becoming Lord of the Eyrie at the age of ten, he proved to be an able lord, strong but just, affable, open-handed, loved by both the smallfolk and his lords bannermen.
As King Jaehaerys I's and his sister-wife, Queen Alysanne's, daughter Princess Daella's sixteenth nameday approached a suitable candidate for her to wed was needed by the end of the year 80 AC. Among the lords that contended for her hand were, Boremund Baratheon of Storm's End, Tymond Lannister of Casterly Rock, and Rodrik. Daella chose Rodrik for she found him the kindest.
Rodrik then took his wife back to the Eyrie, resigning his position on the small council. Daella fell pregnant after a year and a half of marriage and died of childbed fever after their daughter, Aemma, was born in 82 AC.
At a young age Aemma married Prince Viserys Targaryen. When Viserys was crowned Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Aemma became a queen. Aemma's daughter, Rodrik's granddaughter, Rhaenyra Targaryen fought over the Iron Throne with her half-brother Aegon II Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons, with one of her sons, Aegon III Targaryen, claiming the throne at the end of the war. Ever since, each of the kings of the Targaryen Dynasty, as well as King Robert I Baratheon, can trace back their lineage to Rodrik and his Targaryen wife.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- See the Rodrik Arryn calculation.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- Aemma was born in 82 AC, and married Viserys around 93 AC (The Rogue Prince), thereby placing her age around eleven
- The Rogue Prince.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon III.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale: House Arryn.