King of the Reach
King of the Reach was the title of the ruler of the Kingdom of the Reach from Garth the Gardener to Mern IX. The Kings of the Reach were members of House Gardener. The land of the Reach is now part of the Seven Kingdoms ruled from the Iron Throne.
The mythical Garth Greenhand is said to have been the High King who lead the First Men across the Arm of Dorne. His firstborn son was Garth the Gardener, the legendary first King of the Reach. The kings from House Gardener initially ruled the Reach proper, focused on Highgarden and the Mander, but over time they used their claim of descending from Garth the Gardener to claim supremacy over neighboring kings and lords.
King Garth the Great allied with Old Oak, Red Lake, and Goldengrove, expanding the kingdom's borders north. The kingdom of the Reach expanded southward with the addition of the Arbor during the reign of King Meryn III, and soon after Garland the Bridegroom arranged marriages with Oldtown to join their realms. King Garth the Goldenhand conquered the Misty Islands from the ironborn, fortifying them as the Shield Islands. The Kings of the Reach also acquired the western marches near Horn Hill.
The kings and at least one queen ruled from the Oakenseat in Highgarden until the throne's destruction during the reign of Garth X. The Gardeners often warred with the Kings of the Rock from House Lannister, the Storm Kings from House Durrandon, river kings from the Trident, ironborn kings from the Iron Islands, and Dornishmen.
The Gardeners initially fortified their kingdom during the Andal invasion, but they eventually welcomed the newcomers to their realm. House Tyrell, a house of Andal origin, became the stewards of the Kings of the Reach.
The Gardeners ruled as kings until Mern IX rode out to meet Aegon the Conqueror and his sister, Visenya and Rhaenys Targaryen, during Aegon's Conquest, and the Gardeners met their destruction upon the Field of Fire. House Tyrell has since ruled from Highgarden as Lords Paramount of the Reach for the Iron Throne.
Known Kings of the Reach
No precise lineage or chronology of House Gardener is known, but the individuals listed below are believed to be in rough chronological order.
- King Garth the Gardener, mythical founder of House Gardener and the first King of the Reach, son of Garth Greenhand.
- King Garth III, called "the Great".
- King Garth V, called "Hammer of the Dornish".
- King Gwayne I, called "the Gallant".
- King Gyles I, called "the Woe".
- King Meryn III.
- King Garland II, called "the Bridegroom".
- King Gwayne III, called "the Fat".
- King John II, called "the Tall".
- King Gareth II, called "the Grim".
- King Garth VI, called "the Morningstar".
- King Gyles II.
- King Gordan I, called "Grey-Eyes".
- King Garth VII, called "the Goldenhand" or "Garth Goldenhand", greatest of all the Gardener kings.
- King Gwayne IV, called "the Gods-fearing".
- King Mern II, called "the Mason".
- King Mern III, called "the Madling".
- King Garth IX, first of the Three Sage Kings.
- King Merle I, called "the Meek", Garth IX's son and successor. Second of the Three Sage Kings.
- King Gwayne V, Merle I's son and successor. Last of the Three Sage Kings.
- King Garland VI.
- King Gyles III.
- King Garth X, called "Garth Greybeard".
- King Mern VI, Garth X's second cousin and successor.
- King Garth XI, called "Garth the Painter", Mern VI's son and successor.
- King Greydon.
- King Perceon III.
- King Garth XII.
- King Garse VII.
- King Mern IX, last of the Gardener Kings. Killed at the Field of Fire alongside his kin.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Garth Greenhand.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: Andals in the Reach.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: House Tyrell.