The Hand of the King, Lord Torrhen Manderly, organized a great royal progress to mark the coming of age of King Aegon III Targaryen. Among the preparations he ordered the royal wagons and wheelhouses to be repaired and repainted. Aegon cancelled the progress, however.
Near the end of Robert's Rebellion, King Aerys II Targaryen sent his sister-wife, Queen Rhaella Targaryen, and their son, Viserys, to Dragonstone for their safety. Ser Jaime Lannister of the Kingsguard saw the queen climbing inside the royal wheelhouse that take her down Aegon's High Hill to the docks.
A Game of Thrones
Queen Cersei Lannister and her children accompagnies her husband, King Robert I Baratheon, from King's Landing to Winterfell. She travels in a huge windowless double-decked carriage of oiled oak and gilded metal pulled by forty heavy draft horses. The carriage is too wide to pass through Winterfell's gates. Robert later complains about it to his friend, Lord Eddard Stark, judging it to be too slow and unpractical for such a long journey.
On the journey back to the capital, Lord Stark's daughters, Sansa and Arya, are invited to ride in the royal wheelhouse. Sansa is delighted but her sister does not care. After the direwolf incident at Castle Darry, King Robert does not wish to face Lord Eddard and spends the remaining fortnight of the journey drunk in Cersei's wheelhouse.
A Storm of Swords
Lady Olenna Tyrell comes to King's Landing to attend the wedding of her granddaughter, Margaery Tyrell, to King Joffrey I Baratheon. Olenna and her good-daughter, Lady Alerie Hightower, arrive in a wheelhouse decorated with gilded carvings of roses.
A Feast for Crows
That damnable wheelhouse, the way it creaks and groans, climbing every bump in the road as if it were a mountain … I promise you, if that wretched thing breaks another axle, I'm going to burn it, and Cersei can walk!
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 65, Arya V.
- Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 12, Eddard II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 20, Eddard IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 6, Sansa I.