Illustrated by Yoann Boissonnet. © Fantasy Flight Games.
|Government||House Blackwood , Feudal lord.|
|Founded||Age of Heroes|
Raventree Hall is the seat of House Blackwood in Blackwood Vale in the riverlands. The castle is located north of Riverrun, southwest of Oldstones, and west of Fairmarket. Ironman's Bay is to the northwest.
Raventree has high, ancient stone walls with moss climbing up them. There are two huge, square towers flanking the gate and a square tower at each angle in the wall. It is also defended by a deep moat lined with stone. Inside the walls there is a muddy outer ward, a cavernous timber keep, and a godswood.
Lord Blackwood's solar is large and airy, with great beams of dark oak. Wool tapestries adorn its walls, while latticework doors with panes of diamond-shaped yellow glass overlook the godswood.
The castle's godswood contains a dead, ancient weirwood of colossal size. Every evening at dusk hundreds of ravens come and roost all night on the dead weirwood as they have for thousands of years.
The Storm King Arlan III Durrandon married a daughter of Lord Roderick Blackwood beneath Raventree's weirwood. When Roderick rebelled against House Teague, Arlan relieved King Humfrey I Teague's ensuing siege of the castle.
Lord Blackwood hosted Queen Alysanne Targaryen and Princess Daella Targaryen when the princess was fifteen. Daella was charmed by Royce Blackwood, but refused to marry him after learning the Blackwoods followed the old gods.
Widow Fairs were held at Raventree after the Dance of the Dragons. The bones of Ser Addam Velaryon were stored by Lord Benjicot Blackwood at Raventree for eight years after the Second Battle of Tumbleton, until Lord Alyn Velaryon had his brother's remains interred at Driftmark in 138 AC.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
In the wake of the Red Wedding and the submissions of Riverrun and Seagard, Raventree Hall is the last castle in the riverlands refusing to declare for King Tommen I Baratheon. Jaime Lannister goes to Raventree and negotiates the surrender of Lord Tytos, taking his son Hoster as a hostage to ensure good behavior. Tytos intends to have the bones of Lucas Blackwood, a son who was killed at the Red Wedding, buried beneath Raventree's great weirwood.
Chapters that take place at Raventree Hall
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, map of Westeros.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, Jaime Lannister's route on the Journeys map.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 48, Jaime I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Kings of Winter.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Riverlands.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and ALysanne - Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.