In Volantis it is said that travelling afoot can taint visitors in the eyes of foreign captains and the Volantenes alike, therefore persons of quality travel by palanquin, or in the back of a hathay.
The people of Meereen seldom ride within their city walls, preferring instead palanquins, litters, and sedan chairs borne upon the shoulders of their slaves. The Meereenese believe that horses befoul their streets, but slaves do not.
Rego Draz, a native of Pentos, was resented for flaunting his wealth by riding in a gilded palanquin in King's Landing. In 59 AC, Rego was murdered after his palanquin was overwhelmed in Flea Bottom.
A Game of Thrones
Daenerys Targaryen, her brother Viserys, and Magister Illyrio Mopatis travel in Illyrio's elaborately carved palanquin on the way to present Daenerys to her prospective husband, Khal Drogo. The streets of Pentos are pitch-dark when they set out so servants go ahead to light the way, carrying ornate oil lanterns with panes of pale blue glass, while a dozen strong men hoist the poles on their shoulders.
While in Vaes Dothrak, a pregnant Daenerys opts to be carried in a litter to visit the Western Market. If Drogo were accompanying her she would have ridden her silver not wanting to appear weak in his eyes. With her husband off hunting, however, Daenerys finds it pleasant to lie back on soft cushions and be carried with red silk curtains to shield her from the sun.
A Clash of Kings
Xaro Xhoan Daxos gives Daenerys a palanquin of ebony and gold with a matched set of bullocks to bear it. After being refused by the Pureborn of Qarth, Daenerys rides with Rhaegal and Xaro as Jhogo clears a path. The drapes keep out the dust and heat of the streets. Daenerys rides in her palanquin to visit the House of the Undying.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Tyrion Lannister is smuggled out of Pentos inside the litter of Illyrio Mopatis, and they travel in it on their way to the Rhoyne. The palanquin is suspended between eight draft horses on heavy leather straps. Four Unsullied pace beside the horses. Inside it is pleasantly warm, despite the autumn chill.
Reznak mo Reznak orders that Daenerys's palanquin be made ready for her wedding procession in Meereen, but she instead chooses a sedan chair. Daenerys and her new husband, Hizdahr zo Loraq, ride on two thrones side by side in an ornate open palanquin, surrounded by Brazen Beasts, on their way to the reopening of Daznak's Pit. After Daenerys disappears from Meereen atop Drogon, a woman complains to Reznak about damage to her palanquin.
—thoughts of Daenerys Targaryen
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 40, Daenerys III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Asshai-by-the-Shadow.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 43, Daenerys VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Bones and Beyond: Yi Ti.
- Fire & Blood, Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 54, Daenerys VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 48, Daenerys IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19, The Drowned Man.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.
- The Winds of Winter, Tyrion II
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight.