Bold Jon Roxton|
Jon Roxton the Bold
|Died||In 130 AC, at Tumbleton|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
Fire & Blood (mentioned)
Ser Jon Roxton, also known as Bold Jon Roxton, was a knight from House Roxton during the Dance of the Dragons. He was the wielder of the Valyrian steel sword Orphan-Maker. He may have been a landed knight.[N 1]
Bold Jon was known for his black temper.
Ser Jon fought on the side of King Aegon II Targaryen and the greens during the Dance of the Dragons, a civil war between Aegon II and his half-sister, Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, over the Iron Throne of Westeros. At the Battle on the Honeywine, Lord Owen Costayne was mortally wounded by Jon's black Valyrian steel blade, Orphan-Maker. Jon knighted Titus Peake, heir of Lord Unwin Peake, after the battle, but Ser Titus died six days later in a skirmish.
Following the death of Lord Ormund Hightower in the First Battle of Tumbleton, Jon was among those who desired to take leadership of their host. Jon also claimed Lady Sharis Footly as a "prize of war", slew Lord Footly when he objected, and resided in his bedchamber.
Jon was among those who wanted to quickly advance on King's Landing after the Storming of the Dragonpit and Rhaenyra's flight from the capital. Other green leaders were cautious, however, and the host remained at Tumbleton. When Ser Ulf White and Ser Hugh Hammer demanded Highgarden and the Iron Throne, respectively, Jon joined the Caltrops conspiracy which wanted the dragonriders dead.
During the Second Battle of Tumbleton, Bold Jon slew Hugh Hammer when he least suspected it, splitting him from groin to throat with Orphan-Maker. Shortly thereafter he was attacked by a dozen of Hugh's men, but managed to kill three of them. Legend says Jon slipped on Hugh's entrails and was then slain.
Sharis gave birth to a dark-haired child which she claimed was the son of her late husband, but it was widely believed the boy had actually been fathered by Bold Jon. Unwin Peake revealed that Orphan-Maker was in his possession when he became Hand of the King to Aegon III Targaryen.
—Jon to the other Caltrops
—Jon and Hugh Hammer
- Jon Roxton was a member of the Caltrops, a group of conspirators only composed of lords and landed knights from the Reach (Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons: Rhaenyra Overthrown). In the text, Jon is only referred as "Ser", making it more likely he was a landed knight rather than a lord.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.