House of the Dragon
|House of the Dragon|
George R. R. Martin
Sara Lee Hess
Geeta V. Patel
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
George R. R. Martin
Cross Plains Productions
Warner Bros. Pictures
|Original channel||HBO, HBO Max|
|First shown in||United States|
|Related shows||Game of Thrones|
|HBO.com: House of the Dragon|
House of the Dragon takes place two centuries before the War of the Five Kings, focusing on the Dance of the Dragons. The show is based on George R. R. Martin's Fire & Blood, along with the novella The Princess and the Queen and the novelette The Rogue Prince.
Conception and development
House of the Dragon was first pitched by George R. R. Martin in the summer of 2016, when he was still writing Fire & Blood. A similar project dealing with the Dance of the Dragons was pitched by Bryan Cogman in September 2017, but it was announced in April 2019 that HBO would not move forward with it. House of the Dragon was greenlit in October 2019 and has received a 10-episode straight-to-series order by HBO, who have hired Miguel Sapochnik to direct the pilot episode and additional episodes. In addition to Sapochnik, Ryan Condal will serve as co-showrunner. George R. R. Martin, Vince Gerardis, and Casey Bloys have been attached as executive producers, and Wes Tooke, Claire Kiechel, Ti Mikkel, Sara Hess, and Charmaine DeGraté as writers. Although Martin has expressed interest in writing an episode, he wishes to first finish The Winds of Winter. Game of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi is returning to compose the music of House of the Dragon. On 11 July 2021, the Academy and Emmy award-winning visual effects company Pixomondo announced that they were working on the show. Pixomondo has previously worked on Game of Thrones. On his podcast "The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of", Ryan Condal revealed that three named Valyrian steel swords from the books have been made for the first series of the show, including the two Targaryen blades Blackfyre and Dark Sister. On 5 October 2021, HBO released the first official teaser.
Cast and characters
As of September 2021, the following cast members have been officially confirmed. It is currently unknown where the line is between starring and supporting roles.
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen
- Olivia Cooke as Lady Alicent Hightower
- Emily Carey as Young Alicent Hightower
- Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Milly Alcock as Young Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon
- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon
- Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower
- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole
- Ryan Corr as Ser Harwin Strong
- Jefferson Hall as Lord Jason Lannister and Ser Tyland Lannister
- David Horovitch as Grand Maester Mellos
- Graham McTavish as Ser Harrold Westerling
- Matthew Needham as Larys Strong
- Bill Paterson as Lord Lyman Beesbury
- Gavin Spokes as Lord Lyonel Strong
- Wil Johnson as Ser Vaemond Velaryon
- John Macmillan as Ser Laenor Velaryon
- Theo Nate as Young Laenor Velaryon
- Savannah Steyn as Lady Laena Velaryon
The first season of House of the Dragon is being filmed in the United Kingdom and Spain. Filming began on April 5th 2021 in London, at Leavesden Studios, as well as the island castle of St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall.
- House of the Dragon at the Game of Thrones Wiki
- House of the Dragon at the House of the Dragon Wiki
- House of the Dragon at IMDB
- House of the Dragon at Wikipedia
- Winter Is Coming : "Game of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi working on House of the Dragon", February 1, 2021
- Not A Blog, "The Dragons Take Wing", October 30, 2019
- Mashable: "Game of Thrones vet Bryan Cogman developing prequel series"
- Variety: "Game of Thrones: Bryan Cogman confirms his spinoff isn't happening"
- The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of, "Movie Swords!"
- The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of, "George R. R. Martin (Creator of Game of Thrones)"
- https://www.hbo.com/house-of-the-dragon HBO.com, House of the Dragon: The Game of Thrones Prequel
- Redanian Intelligence: HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of the Dragon is looking for two female leads
- The Illuminerdi, "House of the Dragon Start Date Revealed"
- Deadline, "Game of Thrones Prequel House of the Dragon to Launch in 2022", January 15, 2020