House of the Dragon
|House of the Dragon|
George R. R. Martin
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
George R. R. Martin
Cross Plains Productions
Warner Bros. Pictures
|Original channel||HBO, HBO Max|
|First shown in||United States|
|Original airing||2022 (expected)|
|Related shows||Game of Thrones|
|HBO.com: House of the Dragon|
House of the Dragon takes place two centuries before the War of the Five Kings, focusing on the Dance of the Dragons. The show is based on George R. R. Martin's Fire & Blood, along with the novella The Princess and the Queen and the novelette The Rogue Prince.
Conception and development
House of the Dragon was first pitched by George R. R. Martin in the summer of 2016, when he was still writing Fire & Blood. A similar project dealing with the Dance of the Dragons was pitched by Bryan Cogman in September 2017, but it was announced in April 2019 that HBO would not move forward with it. House of the Dragon was greenlit in October 2019 and has received a 10-episode straight-to-series order by HBO, who have hired Miguel Sapochnik to direct the pilot episode and additional episodes. In addition to Sapochnik, Ryan Condal will serve as co-showrunner. George R. R. Martin, Vince Gerardis, and Casey Bloys have been attached as executive producers, and Wes Tooke, Claire Kiechel, Ti Mikkel, Sara Hess, and Charmaine DeGraté as writers. Although Martin has expressed interest in writing an episode, he wishes to first finish The Winds of Winter. Game of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi is returning to compose the music of House of the Dragon. On 11 July 2021, the Academy and Emmy award-winning visual effects company Pixomondo announced that they were working on the show. Pixomondo has previously worked on Game of Thrones.
- Emma D'Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Milly Alcock as Young Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Olivia Cooke as Lady Alicent Hightower
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen
- Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon
- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria
- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Targaryen
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole
- Graham McTavish as TBA
- TBA as Prince Aegon Targaryen
- TBA as Ser Harrold Westerling
- TBA as Mushroom
- TBA as Laena Velaryon
- TBA as Laenor Velaryon
- TBA as Ser Arryk Cargyll
- TBA as Ser Erryk Cargyll
The first season of House of the Dragon is being filmed in the United Kingdom and Spain. Filming began on April 5th 2021 in London, at Leavesden Studios, as well as the island castle of St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall.
House of the Dragon is, according to HBO programming chief Casey Bloys, expected to premiere in 2022.
- House of the Dragon at the Game of Thrones Wiki
- House of the Dragon at the House of the Dragon Wiki
- House of the Dragon at IMDB
- House of the Dragon at Wikipedia
- Winter Is Coming : "Game of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi working on House of the Dragon", February 1, 2021
- Not A Blog, "The Dragons Take Wing", October 30, 2019
- Mashable: "Game of Thrones vet Bryan Cogman developing prequel series"
- Variety: "Game of Thrones: Bryan Cogman confirms his spinoff isn't happening"
- Redanian Intelligence: HBO's Game of Thrones Prequel House of the Dragon is looking for two female leads
- Winter Is Coming: Yep, Matt Smith is playing Daemon Targaryen in House of the Dragon
- Winter Is Coming: "House of the Dragon casts younger versions of key characters"
- Redanian Intelligence: HBO’s House of the Dragon is looking to cast the Rogue Prince Daemon Targaryen
- Watchers on the Wall: Paddy Considine Cast in Lead Role in House of the Dragon!
- HBO.com: House of the Dragon
- Winter Is Coming: House of the Dragon casts Rhaenys Targaryen, Corlys Velaryon and more key characters
- "Winter Is Coming: House of the Dragon has one more "Lead Character" to cast"
- The Illuminerdi, "House of the Dragon: More Fire and Blood Characters Confirmed for Game of Thrones Prequel"
- The Illuminerdi, "House of the Dragon Start Date Revealed"
- Decider, "All About House of the Dragon, the Game of Thrones Prequel"
- Winter Is Coming, "Game of Thrones prequel casts twin Kingsguard brothers"
- Deadline, "Game of Thrones Prequel House of the Dragon to Launch in 2022", January 15, 2020