The Green Council
|"The Green Council"|
|House of the Dragon|
|Original air date||October 16, 2022|
|Running time||58 minutes|
|Directed by||Clare Kilner|
|Written by||Sara Hess|
|List of episodes|
"The Green Council" is the ninth episode of the HBO medieval fantasy television series House of the Dragon. The runtime is 58 minutes. It is written by Sara Hess, and directed by Clare Kilner. Music was composed by Ramin Djawadi.
While Alicent enlists Cole and Aemond to track down Aegon, Otto gathers the great houses of Westeros to affirm their allegiance.
At dawn, the lifeless body of King Viserys I Targaryen is found by his attendant, Jon. He brings the news to Talya who in turn wakes up Queen Alicent Hightower. The small council is assembled and Alicent learns that her father, Ser Otto Hightower, has prepared for this and has already convinced the council members to support Prince Aegon Targayren's claim to the Iron Throne. Lord Lyman Beesbury is the only one who objects and supports Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen as the designated heir. When being too brusque to make Lyman sit down, Ser Criston Cole accidently kills him. Ser Harrold Westerling, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, is horrified by Cole's action and Otto's command of taking the Kingsguards to Dragonstone to assassinate Rhaenyra and her family. Westerling refuses and leaves the room citing that as a Kingsguard, he obeys no one but the king and the realm has no king at the moment.
Though Alicent wants to crown Aegon, she disagrees with her father's way of doing things and wants to send terms to Rhaenyra. As Aegon is nowhere to be found in the Red Keep, Alicent sends Ser Criston and Prince Aemond Targaryen to find him in the city and bring him back to her. In the meantime, Otto does the same with the Cargyll twins, Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk.
The greens have the Red Keep's doors closed to avoid the spread of the news of Viserys' death. Alicent tries to reason with Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, who has been confined in her chambers, but without success. Otto gathers the nobles of the castle in the throne room to receive their allegiance to Aegon, Lord Merryweather and Lady Fell refuse to break their oath to Rhaenyra and are taken away. Lord Allun Caswell reluctantly bends the knee to the greens. He tries to escape the castle but he is stopped at the gates and the King's Justice hangs him on Otto's orders.
Streets of King's Landing
The search for Prince Aegon is launched. Criston and Aemond try the brothels of the Street of Silk with no luck. In a rat pit of Flea Bottom known to be frequented by Aegon, the Cargyll twins see children forced to fight as well as a silver-haired boy who they pressume to be one of Aegon's bastards. The twins are accosted by Jayne who tells them Mysaria the White Worm knows about the prince whereabouts but will only reveal it to the Hand of the King. Otto agrees to meet Mysaria, she gives up Aegon's location in the Grand Sept in exchange of Otto's promise to close down the rat pits. The twins finds Aegon but are stopped by Criston and Aemond on their way back to the Red Keep. Disillusioned by the prince's behavior, Ser Erryk does not even try to fight them off and Aegon is brought back to his mother.
Ser Erryk frees Princess Rhaenys from her confinement hoping to flee the city and take a ship to Dragonstone to join Rhaenyra. As the Gold cloaks gather the citizens of King's Landing towards the Dragonpit for Aegon's coronation, Erryk and Rhaenys are separated. Rhaenys sees Aegon being annointed by Septon Eustace and receiving the crown of the Conqueror from Ser Criston. She then sneeks in the passages below the pit to her dragon, Meleys. They resurface together causing chaos in the pit and killing dozens of smallfolk in the process. After contemplating her chance to burn the greens, Rhaenys decides to not kill a defenceless mother and her children and flies away.
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen
- Olivia Cooke as Queen Alicent Hightower
- Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower
- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Targaryen
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole
- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria
- Graham McTavish as Ser Harrold Westerling
- Matthew Needham as Lord Larys Strong
- Jefferson Hall as Ser Tyland Lannister
- Tom Glynn-Carney as Prince Aegon Targaryen the Elder
- Ewan Mitchell as Prince Aemond Targaryen
- Phia Saban as Princess Helaena Targaryen
- Bill Paterson as Lord Lyman Beesbury
- Kurt Egyiawan as Grand Maester Orwyle
- Paul Kennedy as Lord Jasper Wylde
- Luke Tittensor as Ser Arryk Cargyll
- Elliott Tittensor as Ser Erryk Cargyll
- Alexis Raben as Talya
- Sean Cernow as Black cells prisoner
- Michelle Bonnard as Brothel Madam
- Oliver Grange as Jon
- Paul Hickey as Lord Allun Caswell
- Simon Chandler as Septon Eustace
- Nina Barker-Francis as Jayne
- Tripti Tripuraneni as Helaena's nurse
- Miriam Lucia as Lady Fell
- Paul Clayton as Lord Merryweather
To be added
- "The Green Council" at HBO
- "The Green Council" at the Game of Thrones & House of the Dragon Wiki
- "The Green Council" at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Green Council" on Wikipedia