Lord of Bear Island
|Lord of Bear Island|
|Office||Ruler of Bear Island|
|Current Holder||Lady Maege Mormont|
In 289 AC Lord Jorah followed his liege lord, Lord Eddard Stark, and fought in Greyjoy's Rebellion, during which he earned knighthood from King Robert I Baratheon. Some years later, however, Jorah exiled himself in order to avoid execution by Eddard for having sold poachers into slavery. Jorah's aunt, Maege Mormont, became the new Lady of Bear Island.
A Game of Thrones
Lady Maege and her eldest daughter and heir, Dacey, are among the northern host brought south by Robb Stark. Maege and Dacey take part in the battle in the Whispering Wood. Robb is proclaimed King in the North at Riverrun.
A Storm of Swords
Lady Maege is among the northern lords who accompanies King Robb north from Riverrun to attend the wedding of Lord Edmure Tully at the Twins. At Hag's Mire, she and Galbart Glover are ordered by Robb to travel to Seagard. There they are to take separate ships from Lord Jason Mallister to sail up the Neck and to search for Greywater Watch as envoys to the crannogmen, in preparation for Robb's planned attack on ironborn-occupied Moat Cailin. The letters they carry will contain false commands for northern lords, however, in case they are captured by enemies.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Alysane and men-at-arms of House Mormont launch an attack on the ironborn longships off the strand of Deepwood Motte, managing to take them unawares by hiding fighters inside a gaggle of fishing sloops. She burns and captures all ships, securing several ironborn captains, knights, warriors, and other nobility for ransom. After Stannis Baratheon retakes Deepwood and restores it to House Glover, Alysane joins his army.
Known Lords and Ladies of Bear Island
- Jeor Mormont, who gave up the lordship by joining the Night's Watch.
- Jorah Mormont, Jeor's son who fled in exile.
- Maege Mormont, Jeor's sister. She is the current Lady of Bear Island.
- Jeor Mormont states that he has been in the Night's Watch longer than Alliser Thorne (A Game of Thrones, Tyrion III), who joined the Night's Watch at the conclusion of Robert's Rebellion, implying that Jeor had joined prior to the war's start. While Jeor states that he had been Lord Commander at the time Alliser joined, more recent sources, both canon (A Storm of Swords, Jon I & Jon VIII) and semi-canon (George R.R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire) contradict this statement, making at least the fact that he was Lord Commander at the time invalid. It is still likely, however, that Jeor had already joined the Night's Watch at the time.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Jeor Mormont.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 53, Bran VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 63, Catelyn X.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 71, Catelyn XI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 51, Catelyn VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 70, Jon IX.