War for the White Cloaks
Because there were five vacancies in the Kingsguard after young King Jaehaerys I Targaryen succeeded Maegor I Targaryen on the Iron Throne, Queen Alyssa Velaryon suggested that her son award white cloaks to champions of the tourney which would follow her Golden Wedding to Lord Rogar Baratheon. Jaehaerys decided that the contenders would fight on foot instead of jousting, as foes seldom strike a king from horseback.
The tourney lasted seven days, with the jousting tilts overshadowed by wild melees and bloody duels. Hundreds of knights competed with axe, spear, and sword for the honor of serving in the Kingsguard. Several colorful competitors became favorites of the smallfolk, such as Ser Willam Stafford, Ser Tom the Strummer, and a mystery knight revealed to be Jonquil Darke.
The five champions named to the Kingsguard were:
- Ser Lorence Roxton, a noble of the Reach
- Ser Victor the Valiant, a sworn sword of Lord Royce
- Ser Willam the Wasp, a sworn sword of Lord Smallwood
- Ser Pate the Woodcock, a youth knighted by Ser Joffrey Doggett
- Ser Samgood of Sour Hill, a hedge knight
I want the knights protecting my son to be the finest to be found anywhere in Westeros, true honest men whose loyalty and courage is unquestioned. Let them win their cloaks with deeds of arms, whilst all the realm looks on.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides- 49 AC.