Amethyst is a gemstone, a violet form of quartz, popular for ornamentation. See also amethyst in the real world.
A Game of Thrones
Servants give Daenerys Targaryen golden bracelets encrusted with amethysts before the girl meets Khal Drogo. She later has a vision of ghosts with eyes of amethyst, jade, opal, and tourmaline.
A Clash of Kings
Xaro Xhoan Daxos gives Daenerys a silver collar with an enchanted amethyst, which he claims will protect the girl from poison. He also gives her a thousand miniature knights carved of amber, amethyst, beryl, jade, onyx, opal, and tourmaline, with armor of silver and gold.
The fool Ser Dontos Hollard provides Sansa Stark with a silver hair net, decorated with what he claims to be black amethysts from Asshai. He claims it is magic that will give her justice, vengeance, and take her home.
A Storm of Swords
After King Joffrey I Baratheon chokes to death at his wedding feast, Sansa realizes that one of the amethysts from her hair net is missing. During the trial of Tyrion Lannister for Joffrey's death, Grand Maester Pycelle states that the king was poisoned with the strangler.
A Feast for Crows
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 20, Eddard IV.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 1, Arya I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Bones and Beyond: Yi Ti.
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 3, Daenerys I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 68, Daenerys IX.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 40, Daenerys III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 61, Sansa V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 66, Tyrion IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.