Pearls are gemstones created within shelled mollusks. Mother-of-pearl, or nacre, is an inner shell layer of the same material.
According to the Ghiscari, pearls signify fertility. The tokar of Grazdan mo Ullhor is fringed with fat white pearls which clank, while the purple tokar of Hizdahr zo Loraq is fringed with amethysts and pearls. Ghael wears ropes of pearls and spun gold on his neck.
The legendary God-on-Earth is said to have traveled in a palanquin carved from a single pearl and carried by his hundred queens. His eldest son succeeded him in ruling the Great Empire of the Dawn as the Pearl Emperor. The pearl-white emperors were a dynasty who ruled the Golden Empire of Yi Ti. Lo Tho allegedly ate the living brains of his enemies with a pearl-handled spoon.
The High Septon presented King Aenys I Targaryen with a golden crown decorated with the faces of the Seven in jade and pearl. Many women at court dazzled in pearls and diamonds during the era of Aenys and his wife, Queen Alyssa Velaryon.
Prince Daemon Targaryen gave pearls to Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen. Shortly before dying in 129 AC, King Viserys II Targaryen gave a pearl ring to his grandchildren, Jaehaerys and Jaehaera, for them to play with as he told them stories. After Queen Jaehaera died in 133 AC, one of her bedmaids lost a hand for having stolen two of her dolls and a pearl necklace. Daenaera Velaryon wore pearls when she was presented before King Aegon III Targaryen at the Maiden's Day Ball the following year.
A Game of Thrones
A former potboy tells Jory Cassel that Lord Jon Arryn, the late Hand of the King, had visited a master armorer and commissioned plate armor wrought in pale silver with a blue jasper falcon and a mother-of-pearl moon on the breast. When Lord Eddard Stark asks Tobho Mott if the armorer had made a falcon helm for Jon, Tobho says he did not receive Lord Arryn's patronage when the Hand visited.
A Clash of Kings
Daenerys Targaryen wears a belt of black-and-white pearls when she meets with the Pureborn of Qarth. Daenerys also has a Qartheen gown of ivory samite patterned with seed pearls. While at the port of Qarth, Daenerys is given a wooden box with a mother-of-pearl lid inlaid with jasper and chalcedony by a Sorrowful Man. A manticore attacks the girl when she opens the box.
A Storm of Swords
The seven-sided golden chalice given by Lord Mace Tyrell to King Joffrey I Baratheon has a pearl direwolf to represent House Stark. When Sansa flees King's Landing after Joffrey's death, she wears a brown woolen dress decorated with freshwater pearls.
A Feast for Crows
When Ser Jaime Lannister of the Kingsguard stands vigil for his father, Lord Tywin Lannister, the knight's hauberks has scales of mother-of-pearl chased with gold. To replace his missing sword hand, Jaime has an armorer craft him a hand of gold with inlaid nails of mother-of-pearl.
A Dance with Dragons
Cleon the Great has Lord Ghael deliver to Daenerys a pair of gilded leather slippers decorated with green freshwater pearls. When Daenerys weds Hizdahr zo Loraq, the queen wears a heavy tokar fringed with baby pearls. Hizdahr rules Meereen as king after Daenerys flies away from Daznak's Pit on Drogon. When Ser Barristan Selmy attempts to take Hizdahr into custody at his bedchamber, the king wears a green robe with pearls.
The pearls symbolize fertility. The more pearls Your Worship wears, the more healthy children she will bear.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Beyond the Free Cities: The Summer Isles.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Bones and Beyond: Yi Ti.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 18, Sansa II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 32, Arya III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 20, Eddard IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 19, Davos III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 18, The Iron Captain.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: Braavos.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 36, Daenerys VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 27, Daenerys III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 19, The Drowned Man.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, Heirs of the Dragon - A Question of Succession.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 27, Eddard VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 29, Tyrion VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 40, Daenerys III.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 22, Arya IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 28, Sansa III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 59, Sansa IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 61, Sansa V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 12, Cersei III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 43, Daenerys VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 67, The Kingbreaker.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 37, The Prince of Winterfell.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 58, Jon XII.