The manticore is an insect that lives in the islands of the Jade Sea, especially the Manticore Isles, where the creatures are said to be numerous. Depictions of manticores are relatively common in Valyrian statuary and other statuary of Essos. A black manticore is the charge on the arms of House Lorch.
- See also: Images of Manticores
The manticore has a jewel-like carapace, an arched barbed tail, and an unsettling human-like face, malign and black. Manticores make a hissing sound, and can fold up into the shape of a scarab. Their poisonous sting is fatal to humans, with venom that kills the instant it reaches the heart.
Living specimens of manticores are traded throughout Essos, and can be found in market stalls at Vaes Dothrak, as well as the menagerie of the Palace of the Sealord of Braavos. In Westeros, manticores are sometimes believed to be mythical.
A Game of Thrones
In the Eastern Market of Vaes Dothrak, Daenerys sees manticores in silver cages.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast of Crows
Qyburn claims that the poison Oberyn Martell coated his spear with and used against Gregor Clegane was manticore venom, but thickened somehow, possibly with sorcery. Instead of killing instantly when it reaches the heart, the modified venom leaves Clegane to die slowly and in extreme agony.
A Dance with Dragons
- Manticore - Wikipedia article on the real-world mythological creature, which has a human head, a lion's body, and the tail of a scorpion.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 23, Daenerys III.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Manticore Isles.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 54, Davos V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 27, Tyrion VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 36, Daenerys IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 14, Arya IV.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Manticores.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 54, Daenerys VI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 50, Arya IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 29, The Reaver.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.