Westerosi sigils depicting lions or lions' heads include those of Houses Grandison, Jast, Lannister, Osgrey, Parren, and Reyne. The sigil of House Manning includes a sea lion. Men of the westerlands can be called lions because of the Lannisters' sigil. The Lion Gate at King's Landing opens to the Goldroad. Ser Leo Costayne was known as the Sea Lion.
Lions inhabited the western hills of Westeros. In antiquity, lions made dens in Casterly Rock itself and some were owned by the Kings of the Rock. According to a semi-canon source, some of King Loreon I Lannister's lions broke free and slew three of his sons, some say as a curse from Morgon Banefort.
Wild lions were seen during the reign of Lord Tytos Lannister, as the first knight of House Clegane saved Tytos from a lioness and lost a leg and three dogs in the effort. Cersei Lannister recalls several caged lions kept in the bowels of Casterly Rock during her childhood, a legacy of her grandfather Tytos's time.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Dance with Dragons
In 300 AC, Leaf tells Bran Stark the great lions of the western hills have been slain. According to a semi-canon source, a few lions survive in the outlying hills of the westerlands, but they have been hunted down for the most part.
- The Citadel: Heraldry
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Bones and Beyond: Asshai-by-the-Shadow.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: The Coming of the First Men.
- So Spake Martin: US Signing Tour (San Francisco, CA), November 17, 2005
- georgerrmartin.com: WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE SAMPLE
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 62, Tyrion VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 65, Cersei II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 54, Daenerys VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.