The Lion Gate is one of the seven huge gates that surround the huge walls of King's Landing. It is located near the center of the southwest wall. The Goldroad to Lannisport in the westerlands starts at the Lion Gate.
In the reign of Maegor I Targaryen, Maegor had his own wife and queen, Alys Harroway, tortured to death and executed. Following her death, Alys's body was cut into seven parts and mounted on spikes above each of the seven gates of the city.
A Feast for Crows
The funeral procession departed King's Landing through the Gate of the Gods, wider and more splendid than the Lion Gate. The choice felt wrong to Jaime. His father had been a lion, that no one could deny, but even Lord Tywin never claimed to be a god.—thoughts of Jaime Lannister
- The Lands of Ice and Fire, King's Landing.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 16, Jaime II.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- Fire & Blood, The Lysene Spring and the End of Regency.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.