The River Gate is one of the seven huge gates that surround the huge walls of King's Landing. It is known as the Mud Gate by the population of the city.
The River Gate is near the center of the southeast wall and connects Fishmonger's Square and the wharfs on the Blackwater Rush. Opposite the River Gate on the southern shore of the Blackwater is the kingsroad, which leads to Storm's End. It has a portcullis.
In the reign of Maegor I Targaryen, Maegor had his own wife and queen, Alys Harroway, tortured to death and executed. Following her death, Alys's body was cut into seven parts and mounted on spikes above each of the seven gates of the city, one of which was above the River Gate.
In the Fall of King's Landing which occurred during the civil war known as the Dance of the Dragons, thirteen House Hightower knights and a hundred men-at-arms managed to hold the River Gate for eight hours from both attacks without and within the city. Despite this impressive resistance, the other six gates fell swiftly to the Blacks.
Later the same year, a massive riot broke out in the city, Sailors unable to return to their ships attacked the River Gate. By morning the bodies of the captain of the River Gate and three of his serjeants hanged from the gate.
During the Regency of Aegon III, the Hand of the King, Tyland Lannister ordered the city gates to be strengthened so they could better resist attacks from within the city walls.
Gendry was once almost rode down near the Mud Gate by King Robert I Baratheon returning from a hunt.
A Game of Thrones
In the aftermath of the arrest of Eddard Stark, the Lannisters close up all the gates of the city, except for the Mud Gate and the Gate of the Gods where people can enter the city but not leave it. After being dismissed from the Kingsguard, Ser Barristan Selmy escapes from the capital through the Mud Gate slaying two gold cloaks in the process.
A Clash of Kings
The commander of the River Gate, Ser Jacelyn Bywater, is made the new commander of the City Watch of King's Landing. The River Gate is assaulted with a battering ram by the army of Stannis Baratheon during the Battle of the Blackwater.
A Storm of Swords
Charged with inspecting the damages from the battle, Tyrion Lannister judges that both the River Gate and the King's Gate are should be replaced. These have not yet being done by the time Queen Regent Cersei Lannister rules the city for her son, King Tommen I Baratheon.
A Feast for Crows
Lord Mace Tyrell leaves King's Landing with his host for Storm's End by the Mud Gate. The smallfolk of King's Landing, mostly women, gater around the Mud Gate to see Ser Loras Tyrell departs with the royal fleet to Dragonstone.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 27, Eddard VI.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, King's Landing.
- ↑ The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Hooded Hand.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 37, Brienne VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 65, Arya V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 3, Tyrion I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 8, Tyrion II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 60, Sansa VI.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 16, Sansa II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 32, Tyrion IV.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 36, Cersei VIII.