An aurochs is a type of large wild cattle that once dwelled in the majority of Westeros. However, because of hunting and domestication they have dwindled in the wild and are not often seen. One place reportedly still inhabited by wild aurochs is near the juncture of the kingsroad and the Green Fork of the Trident in the riverlands. They still dwell beyond the Wall, where the Free Folk employ them to drag sledges.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
Grenn notes he never liked when Ser Alliser called him "Aurochs", as he was saying he was big and stupid, but he doesn't mind when his friends use the name, as an aurochs is strong and fierce.
The Winds of Winter
- Aurochs - Wikipedia article on the real-world extinct animal
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 19, Jon III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 69, Jon IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 26, Jon IV.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 21, Bran III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell II.
- The Winds of Winter, Chapter Alayne I.