|Title(s)||Maester at the Arbor|
A Clash of Kings (appears)|
A Storm of Swords (appears)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (appendix)
Appearance and Character
A Clash of Kings
Maester Ballabar follows Lord Paxter Redwyne to King's Landing after the Battle of the Blackwater. He is assigned the task of caring for Tyrion Lannister, who was seriously injured in the battle, at the request of Cersei Lannister. Tyrion dismisses Ballabar because he suspects the maester received orders to kill him. Ballabar is replaced with Frenken, the Stokeworth maester.
A Storm of Swords
After the death of Joffrey at his wedding, Ballabar and Frenken perform the autopsy that refutes the theory of a suffocation with the pigeon pie. During the trial of Tyrion for the death of Joffrey, Ballabar is called as a witness for the prosecution to present the findings of the autopsy, and he declares that poison was used.
A Feast for Crows
The small council of Queen Regent Cersei Lannister is informed by Ballabar about Lancel Lannister, who was gravely wounded at the Blackwater. Ser Jaime Lannister, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, has Ballabar be wary of any attempts to poison the young King Tommen I Baratheon.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Ballabar.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 67, Tyrion XV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 4, Tyrion I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 66, Tyrion IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 12, Cersei III.