|House Qorgyle of Sandstone|
|Coat of arms||
Three black scorpions over red|
(Gules, three scorpions sable)
|Head||Lord Quentyn Qorgyle|
|Title||Lord of Sandstone|
|Heir||Ser Gulian Qorgyle|
|Founded||Coming of the Andals|
Coming of the Andals
The Qorgyles were adventuring Andals who established their domains in the unexplored Dornish deserts, settling in the deep dunes and sands of Dorne, fortifying the only well for fifty leagues around.
By the time of Nymeria's War, the Qorgyles were bannermen of House Yronwood. The Qorgyles supported King Yorick V Yronwood in his unsuccessful war against Lord Mors Martell and Princess Nymeria. Following the war, the Qorgyles became vassals of House Martell.
When King Aegon I Targaryen attempted to conquer Dorne in the First Dornish War, House Qorgyle never submitted to House Targaryen and Qorgyle spearmen cut down Lord Harlen Tyrell's foragers whenever they ventured to far west. In 9 AC, Sandstone was among the Dornish castles burned by the dragons of Aegon the Conqueror and Queen Visenya Targaryen.
During King Daeron I Targaryen's conquest of Dorne, Lord Lyonel Tyrell was tasked with ensuring the submission of the Dornishmen. Lord Qorgyle proved loyal by quelling the revolts of one of the more notorious rebel lords. However, while staying at Sandstone, Lord Tyrell was murdered in a bed of scorpions. Maester Gareth suggests in his Red Sands that Lord Qorgyle arranged Lord Tyrell's murder, though his motives were the subject of speculation. Some say he was slighted that his earlier show of loyalty was given little consideration by Lord Tyrell, while others claim his initial support was part of a treacherous plan he made with his castellan to earn the king and Lord Tyrell's trust.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
House Qorgyle at the end of the third century
The known Qorgyles during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Quentyn Qorgyle, Lord of Sandstone.
- Moriah Qorgyle, a potential bride for King Aegon III Targaryen.
- Lord Qorgyle, Lord of Sandstone during the conquest of Dorne.
- Lord Commander Qorgyle, the 996th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: The Andals Arrive.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: The Coming of the Rhoynar.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- The World of Ice & Fire, Ancient History: Ten Thousand Ships.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Daeron I.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: House Tyrell.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 7, Jon I.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Jeor Mormont.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.