|House Toland of Ghost Hill|
|Coat of arms||
A green dragon biting its tail on gold|
(Or, a dragon biting its tail vert)
|Lord||Lady Nymella Toland|
|Title||Lord of Ghost Hill|
The Tolands successfully resisted the dragons of Aegon the Conqueror during the First Dornish War. The Lord Toland at the time sent out his champion to face Aegon. After Aegon slew the man, he learned that the man was Lord Toland's mad fool, and that Lord Toland himself had escaped. In later days, the Tolands would take a new banner, showing a dragon biting its own tail, with the colors green in gold in memory of the motley of their brave fool. Prior to the dragon, the Toland banners displayed a ghost. The Dornishmen quickly recaptured Ghost Hill after Aegon left the castle. In 8 AC, Queen Visenya Targaryen mounted on Vhagar, burned Sunspear, Lemonwood, Ghost Hill and the Tor in retaliation for the dornishmen's actions against the stormlands earlier that year. During the Dragon's Wroth, Lady Toland was murdered for the Iron Throne's ransom on her head.
A Feast for Crows
While convincing Ser Arys Oakheart to join her conspiracy, Arianne Martell muses about the significance of the Toland arms and compares the crowning of Myrcella Baratheon to the actions of the Kingmaker, Ser Criston Cole, that led to the Dance of the Dragons.
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
Arianne and her retinue stay at Ghost Hill on their way to Storm's End. They eat supper with Lady Toland and her daughters. Valena Toland shares reports of Rain House, Crow's Nest, Mistwood, Greenstone and Tarth have all fallen to the Golden Company. Teora Toland confesses she has been dreaming of dragons.
House Toland at the end of the third century
The known Tolands during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lady Nymella Toland, Lady of Ghost Hill.
- Maester Toman
- Lord Toland, who sent his mad fool to duel King Aegon I Targaryen during the First Dornish War.
- Lady Toland, who was murdered for the price on her head during the Dragon's Wroth.
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- The Winds of Winter, Chapter , Arianne.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign — Jaehaerys and Alysanne — Policy, Progeny, and Pain.