|House Selmy of Harvest Hall|
|Coat of arms||
Three stalks of yellow wheat, on a brown field|
(Brunâtre, three stalks of wheat or)
Lord of Harvest Hall|
Knight of Harvest Hall (formerly)
House Selmy of Harvest Hall is one of the principal noble houses from the Stormlands. Its seat is Harvest Hall in the Dornish Marches. They blazon their arms with three stalks of yellow wheat on brown.
According to semi-canon sources, House Selmy are only landed knights. In the appendix of A Dance with Dragons, however, the head of the house, Arstan Selmy, is listed as a full lord, making the Selmys marcher lords.
Ser Barristan Selmy, also known as "Barristan the Bold", is one of the greatest knights of the Kingsguard. Barristan is the eldest son of Ser Lyonel Selmy. He was in line to inherit the seat of House Selmy, but Barristan gave up his claim after he became a member of the Kingsguard. His cousin, who married the girl destined for Barristan, may also have taken over Barristan's claim to Harvest Hall.
At a tourney at Blackhaven, a ten-year old Barristan Selmy entered the lists as a mystery knight. He was eventually unhorsed and unmasked by Prince Duncan Targaryen, earning Barristan the nickname 'Bold'.
Barristan squired for Ser Manfred Swann and was knighted at 16 years old by King Aegon V Targaryen. Barristan was named to the Kingsguard when he was 23 years old and had the white cloak placed on his shoulders by Ser Gerold Hightower, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. Barristan won a tourney held at Storm's End, beating Prince Rhaegar Targaryen in the final tilt. Barristan slew Maelys the Monstrous during the War of the Ninepenny Kings.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Barristan Selmy, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, rides to meet King Robert I Baratheon on his return trip from the North, along with Lord Renly Baratheon and Ser Ilyn Payne. Barristan is stripped of his white cloak by Robert's successor, Joffrey Baratheon, and is replaced as Lord Commander by Ser Jaime Lannister. Barristan slays two gold cloaks on his way out of King's Landing.
A Clash of Kings
House Selmy supports Renly during the War of the Five Kings.
A Storm of Swords
Arstan's identity as Barristan is revealed and he becomes one of Daenerys's most trusted advisers.
A Dance with Dragons
House Selmy at the end of the third century
The known Selmys during the timespan described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Arstan Selmy, Lord of Harvest Hall.
- Lord Selmy ruling in 49 AC, a guest at the Golden Wedding
- Ser Lyonel Selmy was the Knight of Harvest Hall and the father of Ser Barristan Selmy.
- Unnamed cousin of Barristan, married to the girl Barristan was supposed to marry before joining the Kingsguard
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses in the Stormlands
- So Spake Martin: ConQuest (Kansas City, MO; May 27-29) (May 27, 2005)
- A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book, Guardians of Order
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.