|House Dondarrion of Blackhaven|
|Coat of arms||
A forked purple lightning bolt, on black field speckled with four-pointed stars|
(Sable, semé of mullets of four points argent, a lightning bolt forked purpure)
|Title||Lord of Blackhaven|
|Founded||Before 1 ᴀᴄ|
Blackhaven, the castle of these great marcher lords, is located in the Dornish Marches near the Boneway, controlling the pass to Dorne. Their sigil is a forked purple lightning bolt on black field speckled with four-pointed stars. Their motto is unknown.
The Dondarrion line was founded when a messenger from the Storm King was ambushed by two Dornishmen while riding on a stormy night. An arrow killed his horse and his sword broke when he fell. When he thought he was doomed, a bright purple lightning bolt struck the Dornishmen, killing both. The man was thus able to deliver his crucial message on time. For this, the Storm King raised him to lordship, and he became the first Dondarrion.
Ser Arlan of Pennytree and Dunk served Lords Caron and Dondarrion when they fought the Vulture King in the Red Mountains three years before the tourney at Ashford Meadow. Lord Dondarrion took eight hundred knights and near four thousand foot in the campaign. Dunk later recognized House Dondarrion's purple lightning at Ashford. Ser Manfred Dondarrion refused to vouch for Dunk's knighthood, even after Dunk repeated the story of the family's origin and arms as he had heard it in the camp of Manfred's lord father.
A Game of Thrones
Jeyne Poole becomes infatuated with Lord Beric Dondarrion when she sees him at the Hand's tourney in King's Landing. A hedge knight kills Beric's horse during the tourney. He later falls to Thoros of Myr.
Beric is chosen by Lord Eddard Stark, the Hand of the King, to command the hundred men sent to capture Ser Gregor Clegane and execute him for his crimes. However, Beric's company is ambushed by Clegane and Lannister men at the Mummer's Ford. Beric and Thoros of Myr lead the survivors in attacking the foraging parties of Tywin Lannister.
A Clash of Kings
Ser Davos Seaworth meets with various storm lords to convince them to join the cause of Stannis Baratheon, but he is unable to find the missing Beric. It is unknown if Beric's household at Blackhaven declares for anyone in the War of the Five Kings due to his absence.
The Mountain's men search the riverlands for a brotherhood of outlaws. Ser Burton Crakehall boasts that he has slain Beric, but the lightning lord reappears not much later and Burton is himself killed.
A Storm of Swords
Arya Stark encounters the brotherhood without banners, the outlaw survivors of Gregor's attack. She meets Beric Dondarrion, and witnesses him slain again by Sandor Clegane in a trial by battle. Thoros revives him, much to the surprise of Arya. She learns that Beric's body was defended at the Mummer's Ford by his squire, young Lord Edric Dayne, and was accidentally revived by Thoros when he performed the last kiss, a traditional burial rite. Thoros confesses that he has revived Beric six times. Beric expresses being tired of living.
A Feast for Crows
Brienne of Tarth learns that when the brotherhood without banners encountered Catelyn Stark's corpse by the riverside, Lord Beric gave her the "kiss of life" to bring her back, and died his final death. The brotherhood is now led by the revived Catelyn, Lady Stoneheart. The heir to Blackhaven is unknown.
House Dondarrion at the end of the third century
The known Dondarrions during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Edric Dayne, Lord Beric's squire and Lady Allyria's nephew.
- The Bastard of Blackhaven, who fought and perished in the Last Storm.
- Lord Harmen Dondarrion, who fought the Vulture King and his rabble army.
- Ser Manfred Dondarrion was the son of Lord Dondarrion during the reign of Daeron II Targaryen. He was present at the tourney at Ashford Meadow.
- Lady Jena Dondarrion, the wife of Prince Baelor Targaryen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands.
- The Hedge Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 27, Eddard VI.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from the Stormlands
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The Rogue Prince.
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Baelor I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 29, Sansa II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 43, Eddard XI.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 56, Tyrion VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 26, Arya VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 7, Catelyn I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 39, Arya VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 13, Arya II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 34, Arya VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 43, Arya VIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 42, Brienne VIII.
- Westeros.org Forum: Sons of the Dragon Reading at LonCon Today
- The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.