Gerold Hightower, art by Gutter1333 ©.
|Allegiance|| House Martell|
|Died||In 283 AC, at the Trident|
|Book(s)|| The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
A Game of Thrones (mentioned)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Prince Lewyn Nymeros Martell, better known simply as Lewyn Martell, was a knight of House Martell who served as a member of Aerys II Targaryen's Kingsguard. He was the uncle of the current Prince of Dorne, Doran Martell.
During Robert's Rebellion, Aerys used Lewyn's niece, Princess Elia Martell, as a hostage against him, and sent him to command the ten thousand Dornishmen that were to join Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's force that was assembling to take on Lord Robert Baratheon. Lewyn died during the battle of the Trident at the hands of Ser Lyn Corbray, although he was mortally wounded before his final duel with Lyn.
Dorne was incensed by the deaths of Lewyn and Elia during the war, and Prince Oberyn Martell tried to raise the kingdom to support Viserys Targaryen, the surviving son of the late Aerys. In response, Lord Jon Arryn travelled to Sunspear the year after Robert took the throne (284 AC) to return the bones of Lewyn and was able to broker a peace with Doran Martell, the ruling Prince of Dorne.
It was a closely held secret that Prince Lewyn kept a paramour despite the Kingsguard oaths of chastity. Ser Barristan Selmy and his other sworn brothers were aware of this but kept their sworn brother's secret.
– Jaime Lannister to Loras Tyrell, Osmund Kettleblack, Balon Swann, Meryn Trant, and Boros Blount
I learned from the White Bull and Barristan the Bold. I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right. I learned from Prince Lewyn of Dorne and Ser Oswell Whent and Ser Jonothor Darry, good men every one.
– Arys Oakheart to Arianne Martell
– Arianne Martell to Arys Oakheart
My uncle always said that it was the sword in a man's hand that determined his worth, not the one between his legs.
|Obara Sand||Tyene Sand||Elia Sand||Dorea Sand|
|Sarella Sand||Obella Sand||Loreza Sand|
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Kingsguard (May 22, 1999)
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime V.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 23, Alayne I.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 67, Jaime VIII.