Sand Snakes is a term used to refer collectively to the bastard daughters of Prince Oberyn Martell. The name references the Dornish bastard surname, Sand, and their father's nickname, “the Red Viper”.
The Sand Snakes
In birth order, the Sand Snakes are:
- Obara Sand, Prince Oberyn's daughter by a whore from Oldtown.
- Nymeria Sand, also known as Lady Nym, Prince Oberyn's daughter by a Volantene noblewoman.
- Tyene Sand, Prince Oberyn's daughter by a septa.
- Sarella Sand, Prince Oberyn's daughter by a trader from the Summer Isles.
- Elia Sand, also known as Lady Lance, Prince Oberyn's eldest daughter by his long-time paramour, Ellaria Sand.
- Obella Sand, Prince Oberyn's daughter by his paramour, Ellaria Sand.
- Dorea Sand, Prince Oberyn's daughter by his paramour, Ellaria Sand.
- Loreza Sand, Prince Oberyn's daughter by his paramour, Ellaria Sand.
A Feast for Crows
After the three eldest Sand Snakes try to stir Prince Doran Martell into declaring war against the Iron Throne in revenge for the death of Prince Oberyn, Doran orders his captain of the guards, Areo Hotah, to take all Sand Snakes into custody. While the youngest Sand Snakes pose no threat, Prince Doran wants to prevent anyone from them against him.
A Dance with Dragons
|Obara Sand||Tyene Sand||Elia Sand||Dorea Sand|
|Sarella Sand||Obella Sand||Loreza Sand|
|“||It would gladden my heart if I could assure you that the Sand Snakes were alone in wanting war, but I will not tell you lies, ser.||”|
– Prince Doran Martell
|“||Once I crown Myrcella and free the Sand Snakes, all Dorne will rally to my banners. ||”|
– Princess Arianne Martell
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 2, The Captain Of Guards.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Feast for Crows, Chapter 13, The Soiled Knight.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 40, Princess In The Tower.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 21, The Queenmaker.