Warden of the West
|Warden of the West|
Warden of the West, by David Griffith © Fantasy Flight Games
|Office||Military supreme commander of the Westerlands|
|First Holder||Loren I Lannister|
|Last Holder||Daven Lannister|
|Creator||Aegon I Targaryen|
Warden of the West is a warden title bestowed on the most prominent house of the westerlands by the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms since Aegon's Conquest. All known Wardens of the West have been from House Lannister. Traditionally, the title is held by the head of the house, the Lord of Casterly Rock.
The Warden of the West is tasked with defending the western regions of the Seven Kingdoms from invaders. Although now part of the realm, men from the Iron Islands historically raided the shores of the Sunset Sea, and some ironborn desire a return to the Old Way.
Loren I Lannister, King of the Rock, was captured the day after the Field of Fire during Aegon's Conquest. Loren the Last submitted to King Aegon I Targaryen, and was named the first Warden of the West.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Cersei Lannister, the Queen Regent, wants her uncle, Ser Kevan Lannister, to succeed her father as Hand, but Kevan insists he will only do so if he is named regent in her place and she removes herself to Casterly Rock. Cersei instead names Ser Harys Swyft as Hand, Ser Damion Lannister as castellan of the Rock, and Ser Daven Lannister as Warden of the West.
Known Wardens of the West
- Lord Loren Lannister (1 AC-?)
- Lord Lyman Lannister (?–59 AC)
- Lord Tymond Lannister
- Lord Jason Lannister (?–130 AC)
- Lord Loreon Lannister (130 AC-?)
- Lord Damon Lannister (?–210 AC)
- Lord Tybolt Lannister (210–212 AC)
- Lord Gerold Lannister (213–244 AC)
- Lord Tytos Lannister (244–267 AC)
- Lord Tywin Lannister (267–300 AC)
- Ser Daven Lannister (300 AC–)
- So Spake Martin: Social Structure, Moat Cailin, and More (June 10, 2002).
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 11, Theon I.
- Fire & Blood, Aegon's Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Old Way and the New.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 77, Tyrion XI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 7, Cersei II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 33, Jaime V.