|Golden Tooth |
|Government||House Lefford , Feudal lord.|
|Religion||Faith of the Seven|
The Golden Tooth, also called the Tooth, is the seat of House Lefford in the westerlands. It is located along the river road and is east of Ashemark and Sarsfield, west of Riverrun and Pinkmaiden, and north of Hornvale. Although the Golden Tooth is a small castle, it is a strong keep commanding the hill road.
- See also: Images of the Golden Tooth
The Golden Tooth guards the one large pass through the mountains that allows direct travel between the westerlands and the riverlands to the east. It is generally held that in order to attack the westerlands from the east, one must take the Golden Tooth to have a secure passage.
Cerion Lannister, a King of the Rock, conquered the hilly vicinity of the Golden Tooth by defeating three petty kings. He presumably then granted the region to the Leffords, a House of Andal origin. The gold from the Golden Tooth helped establish House Lannister as one of the richest houses in Westeros.
A Game of Thrones
Ser Edmure Tully sends Lords Piper and Vance to prevent any Lannister army from entering the riverlands from the Golden Tooth. A force under the command of Ser Jaime Lannister breaks them in a battle in the hills below the Golden Tooth, which that marks the beginning of the War of the Five Kings.
A Clash of Kings
An army under the command of Robb Stark, King in the North, circumvents the Golden Tooth and the passage it blocks by using a narrow mountain path, found by his direwolf, Grey Wind. Robb leads his army into the westerlands and descends upon Stafford Lannister's host, annihilating them at Oxcross, three days ride from Lannisport.
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Following the surrender of Riverrun, Forley commands the escort bringing Edmure to Casterly Rock. Jaime worries the group will be attacked by Beric Dondarrion's outlaws before they reach the Golden Tooth.
References and Notes
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Tooth and the Tyroshi, December 17, 1999
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 32, Sansa III.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- ↑ The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, House Lannister Under the Dragons.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 40, Catelyn VII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.