Mantarys is a city that lies to the north of the Lands of the Long Summer on the northern tip of the Sea of Sighs. It is connected by Valyrian roads to the ruined cities of Bhorash and Oros. The demon road passes through Mantarys. It has a sinister repute and is allegedly a city of monsters.
Mantarys was founded by the Valyrian Freehold. Although rich and glorious, it did not have self-rule and was instead governed by men and women sent from Valyria to rule in the name of the Freehold. Mantarys remained inhabited after the Doom of Valyria, but its people are said to be twisted and monstrous.
A Dance with Dragons
Daenerys Targaryen, Queen of Meereen, sends a mission to Mantarys hoping to find new friends to the west to balance the enmity of Yunkai to the south. Mantarys's answer comes by way of caravan in a cedar chest - inside she finds the pickled heads of three of her envoys. Instead, the city agrees to an alliance with Yunkai.
References and Notes
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of Valyria
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 22, Tyrion VI.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, The Free Cities.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Ancient History: The Doom of Valyria.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 23, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.