The lute is a musical instrument of the plucked string family. It is comprised of a body and a neck that serves as a handle and as a means of stretching the strings beyond the body. A musician who plays the lute is called a lutenist.
When Lord Farman grew defiant to House Lannister's influence, Tywin Lannister sent a musician to Faircastle who performed The Rains of Castamere on a lute. Lord Farman caused no further trouble after hearing the message.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
Symon Silver Tongue informs Tyrion Lannister that Alaric of Eysen is one of the seven singers chosen to sing at the wedding feast of King Joffrey and Queen Margaery, where he will compete for a gilded lute with silver strings. Galyeon of Cuy is also among the competitors. The competition is interrupted when the king dies after drinking poisoned wine.
A Feast for Crows
- Ser Tom the Strummer, the Bard of Flea Bottom, Jaehaerys I Targaryen's first court singer.
- Mance Rayder, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, also a singer.
- Galyeon of Cuy, also a singer and renowned songwriter.
- Ser Richard Farrow.
- Ser Horas Redwyne, a beginner.
- Wat, known as the Blue Bard, also a luthier and singer.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.
- The Hedge Knight, graphic novel.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 7, Jon I.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 32, Tyrion IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 14, Brienne III.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 39, Cersei IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.