Following the Battle Beneath the Gods Eye in 43 AC, Rhaena Targaryen fled from King Maegor I Targaryen to the safety of Fair Isle, where Lord Marq Farman granted them hospitality at Faircastle. After hiding her daughters, Aerea and Rhaella, with trusted allies, Rhaena departed Faircastle in 47 AC to become one of Maegor the Cruel's Black Brides.
Rhaena returned to Faircastle after the coronation of her brother, King Jaehaerys I Targaryen, and she wed Androw Farman. Maester Smike observed that Rhaena, the so-called Queen in the West, and her friends, the Four-Headed Beast, held court at Faircastle for visiting lords. After Dreamfyre laid a clutch of dragon eggs, a begging brother warned that Fair Isle would be overwhelmed by dragons. The preacher died in Faircastle's dungeon after being imprisoned by Lord Marq.
After becoming the castle's lord, Ser Franklyn Farman ordered Rhaena to depart Faircastle, with Androw, Samantha Stokeworth, and Alayne Royce following her into exile. Elissa Farman disobeyed her brother's instructions by also departing her home. Rhaena visited Faircastle on Dreamfyre after Aerea disappeared from Dragonstone. Because of Franklyn's poor treatment of Rhaena, King Jaehaerys I Targaryen did not visit Faircastle during his royal progress to the westerlands in 55 AC. The king eventually visited in 88 AC, after Lord Franklyn had died.
Faircastle was captured by Dalton Greyjoy, Lord of the Iron Islands, during the Dance of the Dragons. The Red Kraken was murdered by Tess within Lord Farman's bedchamber in 133 AC. Although most of Fair Isle was recovered by smallfolk in a bloody rebellion, Alester Wynch and Gunthor Goodbrother continued to hold Faircastle with an ironborn garrison. The castle fell after Gunthor slew Alester in a feud over Lysa Farman.
Some years after the Reyne-Tarbeck revolt, Lord Farman grew truculent. In response, Lord Tywin Lannister sent an envoy to Faircastle with the instruction to perform "The Rains of Castamere". The Farmans acquiesced after being reminded of the fate of Castamere.
- A Dance with Dragons, Map of the South
- Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- Fire & Blood, A Surfeit of Rulers.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands.
- Fire & Blood, Prince Into King - The Ascension of Jaehaerys I.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.
- Fire & Blood, The Long Reign - Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Policy, Progeny, and Pain.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Triumphant.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Red Kraken.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist.
- The Sworn Sword.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 19, Tyrion III.