|House Fowler of Skyreach|
|Coat of arms||
A hooded blue hawk on silver|
(Argent, a hooded hawk azure)
|Words||Let Me Soar|
|Head||Lord Franklyn Fowler|
Lord of Skyreach|
Warden of the Prince's Pass
Lord of the Wide Way
King of Stone and Sky (formerly)
|Founded||Age of Heroes|
The Fowlers were First Men kings who ruled from Skyreach, which guarded the Wide Way between Dorne and the Reach. They titled themselves Kings of Stone and Sky and Lords of the Wide Way. Along with the Daynes and Yronwoods, the Fowlers were among the most powerful of the Dornish kings.
The Fowlers often warred with the marcher lords to their north. King Ferris Fowler led 10,000 Dornishmen through the Wide Way to the Kingdom of the Reach, but they were turned back by King Garth VII Gardener.
Following the defeat of King Garrison Fowler, who was then exiled to the Night's Watch, the Fowlers sided with the Martells against the Yronwoods during Nymeria's War a thousand years ago. Since then they have feuded with the Yronwoods, the Wardens of the Stoneway east of the Prince's Pass. More recent Fowlers may have taken the black, as Jon Snow sees hawks among the heraldic charges adorning the Shieldhall walls at Castle Black.
In 10 AC during the First Dornish War, Lord Fowler led a Dornish host which burned Nightsong and took hostages from the marcher castle. The Targaryens retaliated by unleashing their dragons on Skyreach and other Dornish castles during the Dragon's Wroth. Lord Fowler was murdered for the Iron Throne's ransom on his head.
A Feast for Crows
Nymeria Sand was abed with the Fowler twins, Jeyne and Jennelyn, when the news of her father Oberyn Martell's death reached her. Quoting the Fowler words, she asks Prince Doran Martell to "let her soar" and avenge Oberyn.
While prisoner in her tower, Arianne Martell decides to confide with Lord Franklyn Fowler among all the Dornish lords because of his great power, the traditional rivalry between Fowlers and Yronwoods, and the fact that Nymeria is close to the Fowler twins. Doran later tells Arianne he does not trust Nymeria because she is too close to the Fowler twins, and he cannot say who they would confide in.
A Dance with Dragons
House Fowler at the end of the third century
The known Fowlers during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Franklyn Fowler, Lord of Skyreach, Warden of the Prince's Pass, called "The Old Hawk".
- King Ferris Fowler, who was turned back by Garth VII Gardener.
- King Garrison Fowler, last king of House Folwer.
- Lord Fowler, who burned Nightsong during the First Dornish War and was later murdered for the ransom on his head.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 40, Princess In The Tower.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 2, The Captain Of Guards.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Kingdoms of the First Men.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Queer Customs of the South.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reach: The Gardener Kings.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: Dorne Against the Dragons.
- Fire & Blood, Reign of the Dragon - The Wars of King Aegon I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Dorne: The Coming of the Rhoynar.