A herald is a position held in royal courts and noble households throughout the known world. Heralds are in charge of proclaming certain solemn publications or important messages. They beat the floor with their staffs or blow trumpets to quiet crowds, before making announcements. Heralds also announce the names of participants during tourneys.
The Prince of Pentos travels around the city in an ivory and gold palanquin, with three heralds going before him, carrying the golden scales of trade, the iron sword of war, and the silver scourge of justice.
In 133 AC, the Maiden's Day Ball was held to find a new queen consort for King Aegon III Targaryen. More than one thousand maidens from throughout Westeros, and even Essos, crowded into the Red Keep on the day of the ball. The royal herald announced the name and lineage of each noblewoman who presented themselves to the young king, but lost his voice in the process and had to be replaced. Aegon chose Lady Daenaera Velaryon, who was announced by the second herald, who also was somewhat hoarse by that point.
In 212 AC, during the wedding tourney at Whitewalls, the Butterwell herald was a portly man. He openly mocked Ser Glendon Flowers as the "Knight of the Pussywillows" and "Ser Glendon the Bastard", to the amusement of the crowd.
A Game of Thrones
A herald announces the arrival of King Joffrey I Baratheon and his mother, Dowager Queen Cersei Lannister, in Joffrey's first court session as king. The herald announces Sansa Stark before she approaches the Iron Throne to ask for mercy for her father.
A Clash of Kings
Tyrion Lannister gives a signal to the herald to end the court session. During the bread riots in King's Landing, Tyrion commands three Kingsguard to escort heralds who will command the people to return to their homes.
A Storm of Swords
Heralds call out the names and titles of the lords and ladies making their entrance to the throne room during the wedding feast of King Joffrey I Baratheon and Margaery Tyrell. Heralds later summon the singers to entertain the guests.
A herald announces the witnesses heard at Tyrion's trial.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 43, Cersei X.
- The Hedge Knight.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 65, Sansa VIII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 2, Sansa I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- Fire & Blood, Aftermath - The Hour of the Wolf.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 59, The Discarded Knight.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 25, Tyrion VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 66, Tyrion IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 19, Davos III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 52, Daenerys IX.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 55, The Queensguard.