|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (appears)|
A Clash of Kings (appears)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
|Played by|| Margaret John ~ Season 1|
Annette Tierney ~ Season 6
|TV series||Season 1 | Season 6|
- See also: Images of Nan
Nan is an ugly old woman. She is toothless, shrunken and wrinkled. Almost blind, she is too weak to climb stairs and has only a small amount of hair left to cover her head.
Nan is the oldest person at Winterfell. She came to Winterfell to nurse a Brandon Stark, which one is unsure, only that his mother had died birthing him. This Brandon Stark is believed to be either the brother of Lord Rickard Stark or a brother of his father. Nan lost both of her sons during Robert's Rebellion, her grandson during Greyjoy's Rebellion, and her daughters moved away and died. Her only living relative is Hodor.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Bran, curious about the sudden appearance of the red comet in the sky, asks Old Nan what she believes it signifies. She replies that the comet means one thing: dragons. She also claims to be able to smell them.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Some of Old Nan's tales include:
- The last hero
- The ice dragon
- Harrenhal and Harren the Black
- "The Prince Who Thought He Was a Dragon"
- The Night's King
- Symeon Star-Eyes
- How the children of the forest taught the First Men to send messages by raven.
- The Rat Cook
- Mad Axe
- the thing that came in the night
- Terrible winter storms
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 24, Bran IV.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 4, Bran I.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 51, Theon I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran III.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 56, Bran IV.
- Old Nan article on the Game of Thrones wiki.