From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
|Alias||Nan, Old Nan|
|Book(s)|| A Game of Thrones (Appears)|
A Clash of Kings (Appears)
A Storm of Swords (Mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (Mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (Mentioned)
|Played by||Margaret John|
|TV series||Season 1|
Nan, generally referred to as Old Nan, is a servant woman at Winterfell.
She is an ugly old woman. She is toothless, shrunken and wrinkled. Almost blind, she is too weak to climb stairs and has only a small amount of hair left to cover her head.
She is Hodor's great-grandmother, and tells the Stark children wild tales from beyond the Wall. While terrifying them, it may also have opened their minds to the truth on what manner of creatures survive beyond the Wall. In the TV series she is played by Margaret John.
She is the oldest person at Winterfell. She came to Winterfell to nurse a Brandon Stark, which one is unsure, only that his mother had died birthing him. This Brandon Stark is believed to be either the brother of Lord Rickard Stark or a brother of his father. Nan lost both of her sons during Robert's Rebellion, her grandson during the Greyjoy Rebellion, and her daughters moved away and died. Her only living relative is Hodor.
Old Nan’s Tales
Some of Old Nan’s tales include those about:
- The last hero
- The ice dragon
- Harrenhal and Harren the Black
- The Night's King
- Symeon Star-Eyes
- Wildlings drinking blood from human skulls 
- How the children of the forest taught the First Men to send messages by raven. 
- The Rat Cook
- Mad Axe
- The Thing That Came In The Night
A Game of Thrones
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
According to Theon Greyjoy Old Nan is most likely dead, but this has not been confirmed yet.
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 24, Bran.
- ↑ article on Game of Thrones wiki
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 47, Arya.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 34, Bran.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 56, Bran.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
See also the article on the Game of Thrones wiki.