Gerion, art by kethryn.
|Born||In 255 AC, at Casterly Rock|
|Died||In 291 AC or after|
The World of Ice & Fire (mentioned)|
A Game of Thrones (appendix)
A Clash of Kings (appendix)
A Storm of Swords (mentioned)
A Feast for Crows (mentioned)
A Dance with Dragons (mentioned)
Gerion Lannister was a member of House Lannister.
Appearance and Character
- See also: Images of Gerion Lannister
Gerion was born in 255 AC, the fifth child and fourth son of Tytos Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock, and his wife, Lady Jeyne Marbrand. He was healthy, but his mother died within a month of his birth. Though Tytos was greatly saddened by the death of his wife, he soon became enamored of Gerion's wet nurse and made her his first mistress.
Like his brothers, Kevan and Tygett, Gerion was overshadowed by their older brother, Tywin. While Kevan built up a life at Tywin's side, and Tygett tried to be independent, Gerion mocked this "game" and made jokes. Gerion's relationship with his eldest brother was notoriously stormy. At sixteen, Gerion visited the Free Cities on his coming of age tour.
Gerion once gifted King Robert I Baratheon with a gilded dagger, complete with ivory grip and a sapphire on the pommel. He also gifted Tyrion on his name day with the books Wonders and Wonders Made by Man by Lomas Longstrider, and often had Tyrion recite the sixteen wonders of the world. Once when Tyrion was young, he begged his uncle for a dragon for his nameday present, which Gerion found hilarious. Gerion also taught Tyrion some tumbling tricks when he was six or seven, and would praise his skills.
Circa 291 AC, Gerion went on a quest to find House Lannister's ancestral Valyrian steel greatsword, Brightroar, and any other treasures that might have survived the Doom of Valyria. Almost a decade passed after his ship, the Laughing Lion, left Lannisport, but Gerion never returned. Lord Tywin sent men to look for his lost brother and they traced him as far as Volantis, where half his crew had deserted him because of his intent to sail into the Smoking Sea. He had been forced to buy slaves to replace them.
That shadow Tywin cast was long and black, and each of them had to struggle to find a little sun. Tygett tried to be his own man, but he could never match your father, and that just made him angrier as the years went by. Gerion made japes. Better to mock the game than to play and lose. But Kevan saw how things stood early on, so he made himself a place by your father's side.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: House Lannister Under the Dragons.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Gerion Lannister.
- See the Gerion Lannister calculation.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 32, Tyrion IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 44, Jaime VII.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 33, Jaime V.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 40, Tyrion IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.
- A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- See the Joy Hill calculation.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Lannister Lineage.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 33, Tyrion VIII.