Longclaw is a bastard sword or hand and a half sword, which means it is a good half a foot longer than a standard long sword, tapered to thrust as well as slash. With three fullers incised into the blade to reduce weight. There are ripples in the dark steel indicating it is of Valyrian steel. It has a bear's head for the pommel.
The Mormonts have carried Longclaw for five hundred years. Lord Jeor Mormont gave the blade to his son, Jorah Mormont, when Jeor joined the Night's Watch. Lord Jorah later brought dishonor to the House by selling poachers to a slaver, however, but he had the grace to leave the sword behind before he fled Bear Island. His aunt, Maege Mormont, returned the sword to her brother Jeor, who put it aside at Castle Black since the sight of it reminded him of his son's shame.
A Game of Thrones
In saving the life of Jeor Mormont, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, from a wight attack at Castle Black, Jon Snow sets a fire that damages Longclaw's hilt, melting silver on the bear's head pommel and burning the crossguard and grip.
After finding the blade in the ashes of his bedchamber, Jeor has brothers of the Night's Watch repair the sword. The Lord Commander brings the sword to Donal Noye and Rudge in the forge. Halder helps Pate carve stone for the pommel, which becomes a snarling wolf's head of pale stone to reflect Jon's Stark heritage. Samwell Tarly purchases garnets in Mole's Town so chips can be used for the wolf's eyes. The pommel is also weighted with lead to give better balance. The sword has a soft leather grip.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
- Lord Mormont, Jeor's grandfather.
- Lord Mormont, Jeor's father.
- Lord Jeor Mormont
- Lord Jorah Mormont
- Jon Snow
—thoughts of Jon Snow
—thoughts of Jon Snow
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 52, Jon VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 15, Jon II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 51, Jon VI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 68, Jon VIII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 13, Jon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.