House Flint of the mountains
|House Flint of the mountains|
|Head||Lord Torghen Flint|
House Flint of the mountains is the formal name given to the mountain clan of the Flints of the north who inhabit the high mountains north of the wolfswood. They like to be called the First Flints since House Flint of Widow's Watch and House Flint of Flint's Finger are cadet branches of the family. Its chief is known as "The Flint", although at Winterfell the treatment of "Lord Flint" is used.
Their arms or motto do not appear in the books, neither has George R. R. Martin submitted them in semi-canon material.
It is possible that the Flints of the mountains are the same as House Flint of Breakstone Hill, who ruled as First Men kings after the Long Night until being reduced to vassalage by the Kings of Winter, House Stark of Winterfell.
It is suggested that the Night's King was a Flint, among the many possibilities. Lord Commander Rodrik Flint is regarded as one of the worst commanders of the Night's Watch, for trying to make himself King-Beyond-the-Wall. One of the dark legends surrounding the Nightfort is the rape and murder of brave young Danny Flint.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
Torghen Flint visits Castle Black with five fighting men, as well as a fourteen-year-old wet nurse who attends Monster. The Flint and the Norrey are wary of Lord Commander Jon Snow's plan to settle wildlings in the Gift.
House Flint of the mountains at the end of the third century
The known Flints of the mountains during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Lord Torghen Flint, of the First Flints, called The Flint, or Old Flint.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 24, Bran II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 49, Jon X.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The North: The Mountain Clans.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 29, Davos IV.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon XI.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix:Stark Lineage.