|Coat of arms||
10 frogs, 4-3-2-1, green on yellow|
(Or, ten frogs 4-3-2-1 vert)
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
Bowen names Ser Wynton Stout as castellan when he leaves Castle Black to investigate wildling incursions. Bowen wins the fight at the Bridge of Skulls at heavy cost of life to the Night's Watch, and he is severely injured in the battle.
With Jeor having been killed in the mutiny at Craster's Keep, Bowen puts his name forth during the choosing of the new Lord Commander at Castle Black. He withdraws his name after receiving few votes and throws his support behind Lord Janos Slynt. Jon Snow is ultimately chosen instead.
A Dance with Dragons
House Marsh at the end of the third century
The known Marshes during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
Behind the Scenes
Given their name and the frogs on their sigil, the Marshes have been theorized to be crannogmen from the Neck. "Marsh" is not included among common crannogmen family names in A Dance with Dragons, Reek II, however.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: the North
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion III.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 69, Jon IX.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 75, Samwell IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 78, Samwell V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 69, Jon XIII.