It was a winter year, marked by the return of Balerion and Aerea Targaryen to King's Landing. The dragon had half-healed scars and a jagged rent, and the young princess was agonizing, burning with fever, and infected by fiendish parasites that would cause her death. They had been disappeared for more than a year, and their whereabouts during that time would remain a mystery.
- On the 3rd day of the 3rd moon, Elissa Farman, under the name of Alys Westhill, departs from Oldtown with Sun Chaser, accompanied by Ser Norman Hightower’s Autumn Moon and Ser Eustace Hightower’s Lady Meredith.
- On the 13th day of the 4th moon, Balerion and Aerea Targaryen return to King's Landing.
- King Jaehaerys issues and edict forbidding his subjects to visit the Valyrian island or the Smoking Sea under the pain of death, and prohibits any ship that has been there to land in any Westerosi port.
- Balerion and three younger dragons become the first dragons to be housed in the Dragonpit.
- King Jaehaerys I Targaryen founds an order of guards known as the Dragonkeepers.
- Queen Rhaena Targaryen moves into the Widow's Tower of Harrenhal following her daughter's death.
- Ser Willam the Wasp, killed in the Velvet Hills of Andalos near Pentos by bandits.
- Princess Aerea Targaryen, in agony after returning from Valyria.
- Fire & Blood, Jaehaerys and Alysanne - Their Triumphs and Tragedies.