The Wendwater is a river located in the southeastern crownlands and northeastern stormlands, marking a border between the two regions within the Seven Kingdoms. It is the largest river in the kingswood.
Beginning at a narrow lake in the southern kingswood, the Wendwater flows northeast to Blackwater Bay. North and west of the Wendwater is the forest of the kingswood, while to the east is Massey's Hook. According to semi-canon sources the seat of House Wendwater is located along the river in the kingswood.
Aegon Targaryen, Lord of Dragonstone, angered the Storm King, Argilac Durrandon, by asking for lands between the Blackwater Rush, the Wendwater, and the Mander. Prior to the Last Storm, the host of Orys Baratheon was attacked by Lords Errol, Fell, and Buckler in an ambush on the Wendwater.
During the Faith Militant uprising, Ser Horys Hill was killed while trying to prevent the burning of Jeyne Poore in a field by the Wendwater.
The dragon Sheepstealer of Dragonstone was known for grabbing sheep from flocks in Blackwater Bay from Driftmark to as far as the Wendwater.
The Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion was crushed in the Battle of Wendwater Bridge.
A Clash of Kings
En route to King's Landing, Stannis Baratheon's fleet anchors at the mouth of the Wendwater. Ser Imry Florent, Lord High Captain of Stannis's fleet, calls for a meeting of captains to instruct them in the battle plan once they reach the Blackwater Rush. Three days later they attack King's Landing in the Battle of the Blackwater.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Wendwater.
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Map of the South
- ↑ The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from the Crownlands
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Fire & Blood, Aegon's Conquest.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Sons of the Dragon.
- ↑ Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - The Red Dragon and the Gold.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 58, Davos III.