Doctrine of Exceptionalism
The Doctrine of Exceptionalism, or Exceptionalism for short, is the precept that King Jaehaerys I Targaryen worked out with the Faith of the Seven in order for them to tolerate the continued practice of incestuous marriages by House Targaryen. It was developed by King Jaehaerys, with help from Septon Oswyck and Septon Barth. The supporters of this doctrine are called Exceptionalists.
The Doctrine of Exceptionalism's basic tenet was simple: the Faith of the Seven had been born in Andalos of old, where the laws laid down by the Seven in the holy texts decreed that incest was an abomination. The Doctrine of Exceptionalism confirmed this, but with one caveat: the Targaryens were not like other men as they rode dragons and were the only ones in the world since the Doom of Valyria. In addition, they did not have their roots in Andalos, but in Valyria, where different laws and traditions held sway. The Targaryens wed brother to sister as the Valyrians had always done, and as the gods had made them this way, it was not for men to judge. The Seven Speakers preached the doctrine throughout Westeros.
- Prince Aemon Targaryen wed his half-aunt Lady Jocelyn Baratheon.
- Prince Baelon Targaryen wed his sister Princess Alyssa Targaryen.
- Prince Daemon Targaryen wed his niece Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.
- King Aegon II Targaryen wed his sister Queen Helaena Targaryen.
- King Baelor I Targaryen wed his sister Queen Daena Targaryen (marriage dissolved).
- King Aegon IV Targaryen wed his sister Queen Naerys Targaryen.
- Prince Aelor Targaryen wed his twin sister Princess Aelora Targaryen.
- King Jaehaerys II Targaryen wed his sister Queen Shaera Targaryen.
- King Aerys II Targaryen wed his sister Queen Rhaella Targaryen.
Incestuous betrothals also occurred:
- Prince Jacaerys Velaryon was betrothed to his first cousin and step-sister Princess Baela Targaryen.
- Prince Lucerys Velaryon was betrothed to his first cousin and step-sister Princess Rhaena Targaryen.
- Marriages between cousins is not considered incestuous by Westerosi standards. Therefore the following unions do not hinge on the Doctrine of Exceptionalism: Viserys I Targaryen and Aemma Arryn (1st cousins); Laenor Velaryon and Rhaenyra Targaryen (2nd cousins); Daemon Targaryen and Laena Velaryon (1st cousins once removed); Aegon III Targaryen and Jaehaera Targaryen (1st cousins); Alyn Velaryon and Baela Targaryen (1st cousins); Aerys I Targaryen and Aelinor Penrose (cousins of an unknown degree); and Aerion Targaryen and Daenora Targaryen (1st cousins).