Aemon Targaryen (son of Jaehaerys I)
Aemon as a child, by Magali Villeneuve, as depicted in The World of Ice and Fire
Prince of Dragonstone
|Born||In or between 52 AC and 61 AC|
|Died||In 92 AC|
|Book(s)|| The World of Ice and Fire (mentioned)|
The Rogue Prince (mentioned)
The Princess and the Queen (mentioned)
- For other characters named "Aemon Targaryen", see here.
Prince Aemon Targaryen was a member of House Targaryen. He was the secondborn son of King Jaehaerys I Targaryen and Queen Alysanne Targaryen. Aemon was married to Lady Jocelyn Baratheon. Together, they had a daughter, Princess Rhaenys Targaryen.
The eldest of King Jaehaerys I's sons to live to adulthood, Aemon had been Prince of Dragonstone and Jaehaerys's heir for an unknown period of time. He died in battle in 92 AC, fighting against Myrish pirates who had seized the eastern side of Tarth.
Upon his death, Aemon only had a daughter, Princess Rhaenys, who could inherit. Therefore, Aemon's death caused King Jaehaerys's succession to become unclear, and the king saw the need to personally choose his new heir. The king eventually chose Prince Baelon, Aemon's younger brother, over Rhaenys, Aemon's only child. Rhaenys became known as "The Queen Who Never Was."
Aemon was married to his aunt, Jocelyn Baratheon, and together, they had only one child: Rhaenys. Rhaenys was married to Lord Corlys Velaryon. This marriage led to two grandchildren for Aemon, though he did not live long enough to meet them: Laena and Laenor Velaryon. Laena had two daughters, Rhaena and Baela, while Laenor had three sons, Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Joffrey. Though no one questioned the paternity of Laena's children, there were unproven rumors that Laenor's children had been fathered on Laenor's wife, Rhaenyra Targaryen, by Ser Harwin Strong.
References and Notes
- ↑ See the Aemon Targaryen (son of Jaehaerys I) calculation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The World of Ice & Fire, Appendix: Targaryen Lineage.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Princess and the Queen.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Rogue Prince.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Prince Daemon Targaryen was married to Lady Rhea Royce from 97 AC until 115 AC. He then married Lady Laena Velaryon in 115 AC; their marriage lasted until Laena's death in 120 AC. That same year, Daemon married his niece, Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen.