Stranger (the Seven)
The Stranger is one of the seven aspects of a single deity. Believers of the Faith of the Seven consider their god to be one with seven aspects, as the sept is a single building, with seven walls. The Stranger is an exception in that he is viewed in a negative light, with worshippers rarely praying to him.
- See also: Images of the Stranger
The Stranger represents death and the unknown, and leads the dead to the other world. Whilst referred to as male, he is neither male nor female. The Stranger's face has been described as half-human, concealed beneath a hooded mantle. The wooden statue of the Stranger burnt on Dragonstone is carved to look more animal than human.
Worshippers rarely seek favor from the Stranger, but outcasts sometimes associate themselves with this aspect of god.
A Clash of Kings
Catelyn Stark prays in a nameless village’s sept. The sept is modest and has no statues of the Seven, only rough charcoal drawings to represent them. Here the Stranger's face is a black oval, a shadow with stars for eyes. It makes Catelyn uneasy. She thinks to herself that she would get scant comfort there.
Upon entering the sept of Maegor's Holdfast, on the eve of battle Sansa Stark sees that there are even a few candle flames dancing below the Stranger’s half-human face. Sansa visits each of the Seven in turn, lighting a candle at each altar.
A Feast for Crows
During a meeting with the small council Cersei that promises that before she is done with Sansa Stark she will be “singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss”  During the same meeting Cersei thinks to herself that one day she must light a candle to the Stranger for carrying Renly off and leaving Stannis. If it had been the other way around her life would have been harder.
A Dance with Dragons
During her confinement Cersei Lannister prays until her knees are raw and bloody, until her tongue feels thick and heavy. She prays to all the aspects of the godhead, even the Stranger.
The Winds of Winter
Before I am done with her, I promise you, she will be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss.
The Stranger waits outside my door and will not be denied.
– Maester Aemon
Any god in a storm.
– Cersei Lannister's thoughts
– Jaime Lannister's thoughts
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 33, Catelyn IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 62, Jaime VII.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 30, Jaime IV.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 4, Brienne I.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 47, Arya IX.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 17, Cersei IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 26, Samwell III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 54, Cersei I.