There are gardens in the known world of A Song of Ice and Fire. All sectors of society are known to keep gardens, such as the smallfolk who keep homely and functional cottage gardens, and nobles who may have more extravagant gardens. Some gardens are kept for pleasure, sustenance, or both, with a mixture of ornamental and edible plants. Attractive fruit trees, such as cherry and lemon, are also sometimes a feature of gardens. Food can be grown in a glass garden (real-world greenhouse) in winter.
Many characters draw comfort from spending time in gardens. Daenerys Targaryen draws great solace from her garden in the Great Pyramid. The Water Gardens in Dorne are Prince Doran Martell's favorite place in the world.
- 1 Gardens of Westeros
- 2 Gardens of Essos and Beyond
- 3 Recent Events
- 4 References
Gardens of Westeros
The sept at Riverrun is a seven-sided sandstone building amidst the gardens of the late Minisa Tully. The godswood at Riverrun is a garden, bright and airy, where tall redwoods spread dappled shadows across tinkling streams, birds sing from hidden nests, and the air is spicy with the scent of flowers.
The Eyrie's seven towers encircle a garden, which had been meant as a godswood, but no weirwood heart tree would take root in the stony soil. The garden, which is overlooked by Lady Lysa Arryn's apartments, instead contains grass, shrubbery, and a woman's statue, located at its center. The statue depicts Alyssa Arryn.
In Winterfell, the glass gardens are greenhouses heated by natural hot springs, turning them into a place of moist warmth, thereby keeping the earth from freezing. They are used to grow fruits, vegetables and flowers. Inside the glass gardens, it is always like the hottest day of summer. The rare winter rose is said to be the most beautiful of the flowers grown in the glass gardens of Winterfell. The glass gardens have a warm earthy smell.
The Rock is almost two leagues long from west to east, and contains gardens.
Gardens of Essos and Beyond
There are no trees to be found within Braavos except in the courts and gardens of the mighty. The Gardens of Gelenei is a temple in the city; though it is not stated if there are gardens there, there is a gilded tree a hundred feet high with leaves of hammered silver.
The gardens behind Illyrio's manse are extensive. Six cherry trees surround a marble pool in the front. Garlic grows in his gardens, as well as a poisonous variety of mushroom found in a garden by Tyrion Lannister.
In Qarth, Xaro Xhoan Daxos offers Daenerys Targaryen the use of his palace during her stay. There, Daenerys has her own gardens full of fragrant lavender and mint, a marble bathing pool stocked with tiny golden fish, a scrying tower and warlock's maze.
A Clash of Kings
North along the eastern side of the river running south from the Gods Eye, Yoren and his men come across an abandoned cottage. Tarber finds a garden in the backyard where they pull some onions and radishes.
A Storm of Swords
Missandei finds Daenerys in the terrace garden of the Great Pyramid. Dany has the girl promise to never lie to her, to never betray her.
A Feast for Crows
Cersei Lannister states that after the war she means to build a new palace beyond the river; in a dream she sees the palace surrounded by woods and gardens.
A Dance with Dragons
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 14, Arya IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 1, Tyrion I.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 50, Daenerys VIII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 38, The Watcher.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 4, Brienne I.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 2, Catelyn I.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31, Brienne VI.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 80, Sansa VII.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 40, Catelyn VII.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 32, Reek III.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 57, Sansa V.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 10, Davos II.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 6, Catelyn II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 51, Jon VI.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 22, Arya II.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: Casterly Rock.
- A Game of Thrones, Appendix.
- A Feast for Crows, Prologue.
- A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 26, Samwell III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 64, The Ugly Little Girl.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 36, Daenerys VI.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 18, Tyrion V.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 27, Daenerys II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 63, Daenerys V.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 12, Daenerys I.